What was the first fantasy/sci-fi or horror book that you read?

Kreader

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first fantasy I ever read was The Hobbit, which I followed up with the Llandor trilogy.

My first horror was The Magic Cottage by James Herbert. It's the only one of his novels which I have read.

The first sci-fi I read was The Cosmic Trilogy, after reading Lewis's Narnia series. It was an entirely different kettle of fish!

First sci/fi "reads" were the Star Trek novels, based on the doings of the original Enterprise crew (Kirk, Spock and etc) - the T.V. series fascinated the teenage me!

First fantasys - Melanie Rawns' "Sunrunner" series - brilliant escapism for a stressed twentysomething. I have the series of 6 books, yet.

First (and last!) horror "Interview with the Vampire" by Anne Rice. What horrified me most about it was the easy way I accepted the matter-of-fact explanation of the deaths/undeaths caused by the vampires ... it all sounded so reasonable, and then - I found myelf arguing their case, and was horrified at myself for being led astray so easily! :D

Welcome To Dead House by R.L Stine. The first of his Goosebumps series and the first horror novel I ever read the book started my obsession for all things horror.

I can’t remember my first fantasy or Sci-Fi books I first read sadly :7_mad: . They were most likely in comic book form though. :mellow:

• 1 month later...

The first fantasy book that I read was the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny when I was about 9 and I've recently had to get a new copy as my old one was falling apart from overuse. I then read the Harry Potter books because my sisters kept telling me how good they were but in my opinion although they are good for childrens books they didn't grip me as much as Zelazny's world was able to.

The first horror book that I read was The Tell Tale Heart by Poe. This was one of the books that we were required to read for GCSE english. I didn't really enjoy it at the time but this was probably due to the fact that we were being made to read it, and we had to read it as a class so I was unable to read at my own pace.

My younger sister has just had to read some of Poe's short stories for her A-Level english language class and I have found my self stealing her books whenever possible so that I could read more of his work. When she no longer needed the books for her work she was glad to unload them on me saying that she never wanted to see them again! However I predict that she will come to regret that in a couple of years when she has gotten over the forced reading experiance like I did. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Oh gosh, its been so long...I'll have to think that one over pretty hard.

I guess The Chronicles of Narnia? I got that series when I was about eleven...but surely I read something before that, I feel like I've been a Fantasy reader for much longer. I've always enjoyed the books about worlds other than our own. I think children are prone to that since we are so curious and imaginative at that age due to not understanding how things really work. Do the Redwall books count as fantasy? If so then maybe those...and various children's books about dragons and such, I'm sure.

To this day I have yet to read something in the Horror genre. Never saw the interest in that, although I do like scary movies. I think House of Leaves is probably the closest I've ever gotten to reading a horror novel, but even then it wasn't really that horrifying, just suspenseful and involved.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
First sci/fi "reads" were the Star Trek novels, based on the doings of the original Enterprise crew (Kirk, Spock and etc) - the T.V. series fascinated the teenage me!

That's pretty much where I started as well - was it the old Titan novels you read, or the James Blish adaptations?

• 4 weeks later...

My first s/f, fantasy etc are as follows:

S/F: Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy by Douglas Addams

Fantasy: Shannara series by Terry Brooks

Horror: It by Stephen King

• 1 month later...

Wizard's First Rule. The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind is definitly my favorite series so far. I recommend anyone that enjoys love, fantasy and very detailed and entwining stories check these books out. I am on book 5 right now.

• 2 weeks later...

My first Fantasy book was Herry Porter. and the experience of reading that book was great. when I read that book I feel that I am Herry Porter and I did all the things what ever Herry do in that book. actually I read that book because its my gift on my birthday from my dad. I really thank to my dad because they gave me that book and I read.and I was good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As far as I can remember the first sci-fi book I ever read was Midworld by Alan Dean Foster. I instantly fell in love with sci-fi just from reading that book. I have never really read anything else written by that author now that I think about it, a situation I might just have to look into rectifying. I would definitely suggest the book Midworld though.

The first Sci-Fi book I ever read was Doctor Who and the Dalek Invasion of Earth, when I was about 6. Even the cover scared me! The first Horror I read was Rats by James Herbert around the age of 7 or 8. First Fantasy was probably The Chronicles Of Narnia.

My first fantasy was The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe, one of the Narnia series, by CS Lewis

Later on in my teens I read the Hobbit by Tolkien

As an adult it has to be Pawn of Prophecy, The Belgariad Series, by David Eddings,

I do prefer Fantasy to Sci Fi, but I find it difficult to decide these days because there are so many cross overs, where does fantasy end and sci fi begin