What was the first fantasy/sci-fi or horror book that you read?

Kreader

My first fantasy book was an Enid Blyton book, The Magic Faraway Tree, I was 9 years of age. My first horror book was Stephen King's Carrie when I was 14. My first Sci-Fi book was George Orwell's 1984, read around the age of 13/14.

Was this the book/s that got you really interested in this genre?

Having read the Chronicles of Narnia and CS Lewis's Alice stories, it was Ursula le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness that made me seek out a lot more books now that I was an adult. I went to the local library and approached the shelves at Authors A-C. My first choices were CS lewis, Maria Zimmer Bradley and Anne McCaffrey.

as

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First fantasy was probably Harry Potter, when I was 7. But I had Roald Dahl on my shelves before then, that's probably what started me reading I think. I'm not too sure to be fair.

I can't remember the title of the first horror book I read, but I remember that it had flesh eating hogs/pigs that were attacking people, I read that when I was about 13, and it was the first book to really get to me, wish I knew the title so I could re-read it now!

My introduction to proper, full-on fantasy was probably The Chronicles of Narnia, which I first read when I was 7 or 8 years old. My first horror was around the same time - I read abridged versions of Dracula and Frankenstein when I was about 8 or 9.

The first Science Fiction book I remember reading was A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'Engle. It made a big impression on me and I want to read it again.

I have never been into horror although I've read Dracula.

I read a lot of fairy tales from around the world as a child, so I guess that was my introduction to fantasy.

Snap, amazing book :)

Me too! I loved that when I was little, and The Book of Brownies also Blyton.

Hmmm horror .... I think it was called Inside my Feet and it was a school library book when I was about 8 or 9, and I remember my teacher saying it would give her nightmares.... All about a little boy who's family is carried off by a giant pair of boots - well it was pretty scary back then!:)

The first science fiction book I read myself was probably the novelisation of Return of the Jedi when I was 12.

I didn't really start reading regularly until I was 16 though, and when I did it was mainly Star Trek novels, until I went to University and read The Day of the Triffids, The War of the Worlds and then Consider Phlebas, by Iain M. Banks in fairly quick succession.

Never looked back from there really!

My first sci-fi book was... The hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy/Douglas Adams with I recieved from my computer genius friend, to whom I owe my addiction :-)

My first fantasy book was The fellowship of the ring (LOTR)/J.R.R.Tolkien

The first horror book I read must have been It/Stephen King

First fantasy was probably The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe if you count books on tape, my sister and I used to listen to it while we were eating dinner sometimes.

First Sci-fi Hitchhiker's Guide, and still the only one I think!

Err as for horror, I don't really read horror, I think Truth or Dare by Celia Rees might count as horror...maybe?

Not terribly sure, though the firsts I have distinct memories of are as follows:

- Horror: "Monster" by Christopher Pike at about 11-12. Made me go aaaah and awwww in turns; probably laying the foundations for my later adoration of Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein".

- Fantasy: "The Lord of The Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkien at 13. I remember getting very frustrated because the library was loaning it as three separate books so I was having to wait inordinate amounts of time to read each installment (being a fast reader has its downsides).

- Science Fiction: "The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury at about 8-9. I had a beuatifully illustrated hardback that went with me near everywhere for a whole summer.

Just reading this thread brought back so many fantastic memories of books loved and then sadly forgotten. My thanks to you all, for a delightful trip down memory lane.

My first S/F was: A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'Engle

My first fantasy was: James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

My first horror was: It by Stephen King

In the intervening years I've grown to love the fantasy / sci-fi genre more than any other. My most self-indulgent pleasure is a rainy afternoon with a trashy pulp sci-fi novel and a warm blanket. The end result is a huge pile of dog-eared books that I'm slightly embarrassed to put on my bookshelf, and a somewhat smaller pile of gems that I recommend to anyone dares discuss literature in my presence.

Guest stillgood

I can't remember it clearly.May it is The ring.It is a horroble novel written by Japanese guys.It is long time ago.In these days I killed my spare time with TV shows such as Navy NCIS: Season 1-5 DVD or Cold Case Seasons 1-5 DVD :irked:

Edited by Michelle

My first sci-fi book was The Hitchhikers' Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

My first fantasy book was The Hobbit by Tolkien.

My first horror book was The Shining by Stephen King.

There you are. Three good'un's certainly.

I've never read any horror, as it's not generally my cup of tea, but I do mean to read Dracula and Frankenstein one day

You'll be relieved to know neither of them is really horror; they're gothic novels (the Romantic ancestor of horror novels) and, while they both contain supernatural elements and nail-biting moments, they are mainly concerned with emotions and ethics. "Dracula" could be considered the first vampire romance of all time, and "Frankenstein" is more about the dangers of playing God and hate crime as a vicious circle than anything else.

The very first horror books I ever read were those from the Goosebumps series ( I can't remember their author) when I was... 13 or 14 perhaps. They scared the heck out of me. :friends0:

R.L. Stine. I used to buy his books by the truckload, YA genius he was. the "Night of the Living Dummy" miniseries and "Say Cheese and Die" were easily his best. I remember that when my first tentative novel (age: 11) was compared to his work I thought it the best compliment ever!