The Resurrectionist by James Bradley

Colin Jacobs

Having searched for and found The Resurrectionist by James Bradley. I read the amazon reviews. Sadly the reviews are negative and I am now a bit worried about reading it. I guess I will read it and make my own mind up anyway.

I must stop reading reviews before I have read the book:roll:

Edited by Michelle
title changed to aid with future searches,and moved to better section

Having searched for and found The Resurrectionist by James Bradley. I read the amazon reviews. Sadly the reviews are negative and I am now a bit worried about reading it. I guess I will read it and make my own mind up anyway.

I must stop reading reviews before I have read the book:roll:

Give the Resurrectionist a try! It isn't the most amazing book in the world, but it does have some great bits in it. I think it is well worth reading. It's dark and atmospheric, and you learn a lot about death in Victorian times!

• 1 month later...

I put this down after giving it an hour and a half of my life. I couldn't go on any further.

I was put off by the writing style immediately but decided to look past this and carry on reading but after about 100 pages, I didn't care enough to turn to the next page. There was no depth to the characters and no scene setting at all. Quite a disappointment.

I did have a peek at the reviews on Amazon after I gave up and I must agree with most of them. Those that made it to the end must have been quite stubborn!

I too struggled with this book, (I think I bought it as a 3 for 2 or something) but I passed it on to a friend. Wasn't impressed with the writing style, I think I was just taken in by the cover (that'll teach me):)

I have got this on my bookshelf , I haven't read it yet, but my brother read it and said that it was a good book, but a heavy read. he said it was quite gory too!

I will get around to reading it one day!:)

hugs,

Bethxx

This book has such a gorgeous cover - the one I saw did, anyway - and I do so love the Victorian Era.... But if it's too gory I don't think I'll enjoy it... What to do, what to do... :readingtwo:

• 1 month later...

Just finished this, bought for a pound so may be this has some influence on my conclusions (joking)

Im aware of the bad reviews on amazon: yes the plot is a bit foggy (irony), some characters a bit flat and the protagonist - well hard to like.

However, i thought this was a great book .... alot of the bad reviews i sum up to: not liking the descriptions of gore, violence, darkness, debauchery or opium. If not read in a short space of time, the fragmented, allusive, short chapters could easily confuse and negate the really important assumptions/questions needed for the story to progress as the author intended.

I actually thought the ending was fitting, historically interesting and justifiably different to the whole book, yet this was the main criticism on most review.

Do not be put off :D

• 2 weeks later...

I read the resurrectionist a while ago.

I found that it was interesting in terms of its historical content, but felt the story itself was pretty dead (no pun intended).

I think you should give it a try anyway, it is a rather short book and some parts were good.

Sweetie