Can You Keep A Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

can-you-keep-a-secret.jpgSynopsis:

Emma is like every girl in the world. She has a few little secrets.

Secrets from her mother:

1.I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom to Danny Nussbaum while Mum and Dad were downstairs watching Ben Hur.

...From her boyfriend:

2. I'm a size twelve. Not a size eight, like Connor thinks.

3. I've always thought Connor looks a bit like Ken. As in Barbie and Ken.

...From her colleagues:

4. When Artemis really annoys me, I feed her plant orange juice. (Which is pretty much every day)

5. It was me who jammed the copier that time. In fact, all the times.

...Secrets she wouldn't share with anyone in the world:

6. My G string is hurting me.

7. I faked my Maths GCSE grade on my CV.

8. I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even what it is...

...until she spills them all to a stranger on a plane. At least, she thought he was a stranger...

This is another gem from Sophie Kinsella. This is pure chick-lit, a light, fun read, humorous and heart wrenching. Emma, the protagonist, is flying from Glasgow to London after a dreadful work meeting. She is a nervous flyer, who was upgraded to Business Class. When the plane hits turbulence she believes she is going to die, and that the handsome American stranger in the seat next to her is the last person she is ever going to see. So she tells him everything - all her secrets and innermost thoughts and feelings. And then they land safely and Emma thinks she will never see him again - until he turns out to be the founder of the company she works for, and he is checking out the London offices. The story follows Emma as she adjusts to having Jack around all the time, struggling with her family, facing unbearable humilition, love, friendship and revenge.

As ever, Kinsella kept me gripped. Her writing is fluid and engaging. Her characters were similar to those in the Shopaholic Series but I still connected with them. I loved Emma and her brutal honesty on the plane, and how the poor girl had to suffer the consequences. I was willing the best for her, and felt her humilition and pain with her. Her flat mate Lissy founded gorgeous - what a lovely person to have around. Her other flat mate, Jemima was a hilarious character, with a warped way of viewing the world, but hilarious all the same. There were some vicious characters who I didn't like as well - which is important to a good story.

Kinsella looks at the use of secrets in relationships. Although this is predominantly a chick-lit book, we do what can happen if you keep secrets. Relationships fall apart, there is a lack of trust and people often get it wrong. Once someone has been hurt through secrets they can be tarnished forever, as was the case with Conner, who turned into a bit of a wet lettuce - insecure and paranoid. However, being a light read, most things turned out OK in the end.

I really enjoyed this book. I laughed and felt pain, I was emotionally connected to Emma and wanted the best for her, and I recommend this book if you like quick, fun reads. The only complaint I have is there was a fair amount of swearing. Apart from that, this is a good novel.

8/10

Great review Kate:friends0:

I really enjoyed 'Can you keep a secret' too, I thought Emma was very likeable and hilarious! the secrets she had were so funny.

I loved the part when she invites Connor to archive room, she is acting all sexy and he is like what? I felt so embarrassed for her. I also loved how Jack defended her in front of her family, especially with her vicious cousin (I think it was her cousin)

There is a message through it but it is told in a fun way I thought.

Its certainly of my favourites by Sophie Kinsella and I am glad you enjoyed it so much Kate, I need to read it again soon :friends0:

I think this is the first Chick Lit novel I ever read, and I loved it. A good introduction to the CHick Lit genre I would say. I have since read every Sophie Kinsella novel in order and also loved every single one of them

:-) And there's not that many authors I can say this about!

This was the second SK novel I read, the first being the initial Shopaholic book, and I certainly wasn't disappointed.

I like the 'voice' in which she writes and find her books very easy to read, with just the right amount of humour.

I'd like to read it again, but realise I lent it to a friend several years ago and haven't seen it since! :)