Jeffery Deaver

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yup, he has a mailing list & when you subscribe you get to read a short story he wrote.

I just found this on his website & he says to feel free to share it as long as you atribute it & show the copyright, so here it is:

The Death of Reading

By Jeffery Deaver

I've got what I think is the very best job.

I have no commute, I can dress like a slob.

I get paid to make up things

Edited by Ceinwenn

Aaaaa now I get it, this was the thread where I got into Palahniuk!

On topic: I finished The Bone Collector last night. It was my first Deaver book and I'm really glad I started from the first book. I didn't really warm up to Rhyme or Sachs but they do appeal to me in some way and I'm interested in seeing how the relationships between different people evolve in general. The storyline was absolutely gripping and I was totally wrong about the murderer and didn't see what was coming. I'm going to the local library today to get the next book. There aren't many of Deaver's books in the library and I don't know which one of his books are translated into Finnish. He uses quite a lot of technical and specific jargon which I'm not that familiar with so I'd prefer the Finnish versions... ;)

Oooh and thanks to Charm and Ceinwenn who initially got me interested in these books :)

On topic: I finished The Bone Collector last night.

I haven't read this one but I've seen the film and liked it so I'll probably read this some time.

Oooh and thanks to Charm and Ceinwenn who initially got me interested in these books :)

You're welcome! I'm glad you're enjoying them. It was really Ceinwenn who got me started on his stuff so I guess we both have her to thank ;)

I haven't read this one but I've seen the film and liked it so I'll probably read this some time.

Do read it, it was great!

I was just checking out what movies there are on TV this weekend and what a coincidence, they're showing The Bone Collector ;) Now I have to watch it.

Do read it, it was great!

I was just checking out what movies there are on TV this weekend and what a coincidence, they're showing The Bone Collector :) Now I have to watch it.

Oh you will enjoy it! Both Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie are brilliant in it, I saw it recently, fantastic! ;)

Oh you will enjoy it! Both Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie are brilliant in it, I saw it recently, fantastic! ;)

I'll try to keep an open mind about it and enjoy it. The problem is I really don't like Angelina Jolie. And like someone already said in this thread (if I remember correctly), why does Denzel Washington play Lincoln Rhyme? Isn't Rhyme caucasian? Not that the skin colour matters, it's just that it's weird to see something completely different from what I've imagined in my head.

Edit: Nope, it was in some other related thread.

Edited by frankie

I agree, that Washington was an unusual choice considering that I imagined Rhyme to be caucasian (though I cannot recall if Deaver ever did specify that or if that's just the way I "saw" him?). My real issue with the film is Angelina Jolie. I don't like her as an actress & really think she was a bad choice to play Amelia Sachs. For me, she ruins the movie.

I don't think Deaver ever specifies Rhymes' skin colour in the books, although he makes reference to other characters features (hair colour/style/type, eye colour).

But I think we all do the same thing, whereby an image enters our mind regarding what a character looks like, and we stay with it unless specifically directed not to.

I haven't seen the movie, but Angelina Jolie just is so not the picture I have in my head for Sachs! I have more of a young Sean Young in my mind.

Oh I love the movie! I watched it a few years before I read the book so the characters were already in place for me :)

Overall I think it's a pretty good adaptation and I think I'm maybe the only person on the planet who doesn't mind Ms Jolie. There's one scene in the movie which makes my skin crawl just thinking of it. It's during the part where

they find the corpse of the woman with her skin steamed off. When Amelia ventures down there to 'walk the grid', she find a bone which has been carved into a sort of spike......eugh! Really sets my teeth on edge as it looks horrible!

;)

It's been too many years since I saw the movie/read the book to remember that, but it sounds great! (Does that make me seem weird? I'm not, I promise!)

Definitely weird! No doubt about it, but you're in good company with the rest of us ghouls! ;)

Oh I love the movie! I watched it a few years before I read the book so the characters were already in place for me :)

Overall I think it's a pretty good adaptation and I think I'm maybe the only person on the planet who doesn't mind Ms Jolie.

Me too. I actually quite like Angelina and thought she was great in the movie! :)

(Does that make me seem weird? I'm not, I promise!)

I'm saying nothing. ...................... ;)