Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Hyperion is a superb book - I haven't read the others yet.

The book, for note, is done somewhat like a futuristic Canterbury Tales - it documents how several people came to be on a starship bound for the planet Hyperion.

Some of the stories I found a little dull (I thought the tale of the Lovers was a real let down after the immense introduction found in the Priest's tale.)

The first story, the Priest's tale, is EPIC, and could well have been a novel in it's own right. Must read it again soon. Disturbing stuff, but highly gripping.

• 3 weeks later...
Could you please qualify the disturbance? i.e. are there limbs falling off all over the place, is it very sexually graphic, or...? Thanks you.

I was specifically referring to the priests tale. It's about how he goes looking for a legendary race of people I think called the Bikura. It's not graphic or sexual, it's like a mini documentary with strange religious connotations, and psychologically it's just... weird. Finding out who these people are, why they are the way they are. Theres a slightly graphic scene at the end, the language didn't bother me so much as the image in my mind. I would tend to say psychologically, more than anything. I can't speak for the rest of the book, as I haven't read it all. The story of the Lovers, the second one, does have sex it in. I thought the whole story was gratuituous and pointless.

• 1 year later...

Oh I loved this series back when I read it, that's years and years ago, might have been like 14 or something at the time, or a little older.. it's been on my to re-read list for ages, since then I know I definitely not understood everything, plus now I am able to read it in original english, so much better.

But you know how it is, so much to read, so little time. :D

• 2 months later...

Well, what can I say?

I've just finished Hyperion and moved immediately on to The Fall Of Hyperion.

If you like your sci-fi EPIC and unafraid of thought-provoking ideas, then this is the saga for you.

Like all of Simmons books, these seem to move at an astonishing pace, never lingering for a moment too long, and this makes for a very propulsive read.

Absolutely awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got be honest here and say that I didn't understand much of 'The Fall Of Hyperion'. Seems like Dan Simmons has created an epic that has grown too big for him to reign in, for many of his themes are left unfinished or worse still, unexplained.

Spoilers below:

Just what is the purpose of the Shrike?

Why did Moneta rape Kassad?

What the hell was all that gobble-de-gook with Ummon all about?

And what about Rachael? A woman, then a child, then a woman and a child. Eh?

Finally...the poetry. Why, oh, why?

End of spoilers.

Grand, grand ideas, but a little too much for me. I'm glad to say that I'm finding Endimyon much more to my tastes.

Any thoughts?

Oh, as a final word - Thanks Univerze, for turning me on to Dan's Hyperion Cantos. :)

Edited by Pablo

Thought 'Drood' was wonderfully macabre in places and its mystery had me hooked throughout, but I felt that it was far too long, with a great deal of meandering between actual events. I think the story would be better served as a novella to be honest.

Might I recommend 'The Terror' (Also by Simmons), which, although very slow to begin with, gradually immerses you in its chilling atmosphere, and creates a genuine sense of palpable dread.

Fantastic stuff.

• 1 month later...

Just finished reading Endymion and The Rise Of Endymion and I've got to say that, for me, they were far more reader-friendly than the previous books in the series, and had far more to say.

Those who are working their way through the Hyperion books just now with frowns lining their brows, would do well to finish the saga, as all, or at least, most of the questions raised are answered before the end.

I'm missing Raul and Aenea already. I never thought I'd say that about fictional characters.

They've left a void behind now that they're gone.

Ahh didn't check back to this thread, my bad. Thanks for the thanks. ;)

But I too found Fall of Hyperion a much harder to read book. I agree on the Ummon thing, hardest parts to get through. The Rachel thing is not that hard for me to get, or accept anyway, don't think we're supposed to get all of this book. I didn't like all the data sphere bits, and the Keats persona storyline was a bit dragged out. I would have been happier if it were just the Shrike and the pilgrims, best for me.

Happy to hear the last two books are better, makes me more inclined to continue this series after finishing Lord of the Rings, which I'm reading now. ;)

Thanks for the thanks for the thanks, Univerze. Wow, this could get as complicated as a Dan Simmons book!

I think an added interest in the last two Hyperion books for you might be the fact that the Shrike plays a more important role, and there's a revelation about it near the end of the series.

He still doesn't say much though - he's just too cool.

Oh, and BookJumper - don't let the graphic nature of the second tale in Hyperion put you off. The sexual scenes throughout the series are mostly done in a very tasteful manner. Besides, wasn't it you who once suggested that I was limiting myself by refusing to read vampire and ghost books, simply because I didn't like the genre?

You know what? You were right.

Skim over the hay-rolling bits and you'll find yourself falling in love with Simmons' visionary worlds.

I have to say, you've got to love the shrike, though I never thought the cover illustrations did anywhere near justice to the descriptions of it.

I'm surprised the Ummon parts were disliked, all others I've spoken to whom have read the books enjoyed them.

• 8 months later...

I've only just read Hyperion. I don't know why it took me so long to get around to it, as it's been on my radar for ages, and I've read several other of Simmons's novels (Carrion Comfort, Illium, The Terror). Haven't read the whole thread in case of spoilers for the following books, but I absolutely loved it. I enjoyed all of the tales within the tale, but especially Sol's story, which I found quite heartbreaking.

• 8 months later...

Ah, Hyperion. I've only started reading it last week and it's glorious. I bought the Omnibus edition which has the first two books in one. I'm looking forward to the Endymion Omnibus to be delivered.