• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Owen

Owen

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:50 PM

I really want to get my mitts on a copy, in fact I may nip over to amazon and order a copy with my lottery winnings.

#22 Fi

Fi

In a sparkly daze...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts
  • Reading now?:The Woken Gods - Gwenda Bond
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:13 PM

I'm itching to start this, it's sitting on the desk here taunting me but I must be good and finish GwtW first :roll:

#23 Book Fiend

Book Fiend

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Reading now?:Lord of the Flies - William Golding

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:08 PM

Ooh I went out for dinner with friends the other night, and one of them was telling me about a book he was reading and this must be it!! (There surely can't be two books like this!)

He said that it's fantastic and bizarre but really hard going. I think he's about half way through but he's had to take a break from it! I may have to see if I can borrow it when he's done, it sounds intruiging!

#24 Ilona

Ilona

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Reading now?:The Elements of Style
  • LocationEarth (specifically California)

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:21 AM

Ugh, I'm trying to get this book done, but I've been burried in footnotes! I can sort of see the possibly intended symbolism in the amped footnotes, but it's kind of giving me a headache.

#25 Angury

Angury

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Reading now?:Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
  • LocationNorthern Ireland/Wales - UK

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:44 PM

Really glad I found a thread on this book.

I read it a few years back and felt it lived up to its reputation. It's unique but not too pretentious. It does take a while to get into it but I think it is worth the effort. It's a nice break from your everyday reading.

Has one read his latest book, The Familiar? I have a copy lying somewhere that I need to dig into. Some of the reviews on Goodreads are hilarious.

Edited by Angury, 04 July 2016 - 12:45 PM.

#26 davidh219

davidh219

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:11 AM

This is legitimately one of the best books I've ever read. I honestly didn't find it scary at all, though, and I'm always surprised when I see people who were scared by it. It didn't seem like much of a horror novel to me. More like an experimental literary fiction tour de force masquerading as a horror novel. I liked how he played with the idea of a documentary, complete with academic commentary on that documentary with in depth footnotes, while all the time even our fictional narrator acknowledges that it's not a real documentary. A fictional documentary that's not trying to be funny (mockumentary) but instead trying to be so detailed that it unnerves you with how real it feels and seems is...quite something. Powerful concept. And he completely inverts that at the end when the documentary breaks the fourth wall into johnny's world, which cascades into breaking the fourth wall of our world. And then there's the parallels between johnny truant's life and danielewski's that make you wonder, how much of that is coming from a real place? Are those letters from johnny's mom the exaggerated way danielewski saw his own mentally ill mother at some point in his younger days? Johnny is also a bit of an unreliable narrator which is always fun. God, this book is so good. It's hard to even talk about it, though. I feel like I need two cups of coffee and an hour of quiet time just to gather my thoughts on it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users