Edward Rutherford

dakingavenue

My other Edward Rutherfurd book arrived yesterday from Amazon (Russka) I opened it to have a quick look and I haven't put it down since, I'll have to ditch my other book to concentrate on this one. He is such a good writer.:D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My other Edward Rutherfurd book arrived yesterday from Amazon (Russka) I opened it to have a quick look and I haven't put it down since, I'll have to ditch my other book to concentrate on this one. He is such a good writer.:lol:

I`ve read London and Sarum and really enjoyed them, it sounds as though I`ll enjoy Russka too, think I`ll order it from the library. :lol: I agree he is a good author.

• 2 months later...

I read Russka when it first came out but I'm afraid I plodded through most of it - multi-generational historical novels are not my favorite genre. :motz:

I haven't read any other Rutherford books but I've read reviews that suggest that Sarum: The Novel of England is a better book. Have you read it Katrina?

• 1 year later...

I started London a couple of months ago, and I can't believe it's taken me so long to read it. I found that I kept reading it in stops and starts...for a while I'd rush through great chunks of it, and then stop for a bit.

Currently, I'm nearing the end...it's been a great journey getting there. Have about a hundred or so pages left, I think - so may come back and review it once I read that! I feel like London often tends to exist as its own entity compared to the rest of the country, and it's always interesting reading about familiar places. What's it like for non-Londoners reading it?

Does anyone know how his other books compare to London?

Finished London, and wrote my thoughts on it so thought I'd paste them here :D There aren't actually any spoilers, just put it under the spoiler tag for length.

I've just finished reading Rutherfurd's London, it's taken me a while to get through. For those who don't know about the book, let me briefly explain. London is a historical novel, which takes the reader through the history of London, beginning in Roman times and ending in more-or-less present day. Each chapter is set in a different time period, and in general the characters are somehow linked (usually being descendants) to characters from previous chapters.

I found that I stopped and started reading a lot, perhaps I found some chapters very easy and interesting to read, and others more difficult to get through. In total, it's taken me two months to finish. The sheer amount of characters and length of the book means that they've already got a little jumbled in my head, but a few memorable characters do stand out...so perhaps that is somewhat of an achievement for Rutherfurd. I think, if a book is going to be so long, I would prefer characters that I can really find out about. By reading such an extensive piece of text based on the same set of characters (let's take, for instance, A Suitable Boy) I think a reader becomes so much more invested in them, and one can feel a lot more absorbed by their stories. London offers glimpses of a multitude of characters and time periods, so that one never really finds out too much about any particular character...there just isn't enough time. So I think it's almost better to view the book as a collection of short stories, than a novel.

Being a Londoner brings an added extra to reading this book, the names and places are so familiar, and it's so interesting to read about the history (and etymology) of the places I visit on a regular basis. I've always enjoyed reading books set in London, for various reasons. For one, I think it seems to instil a sense of pride in being from London...so often I get told that people hate it because it's far too busy and crowded and noisy, and everybody hurries about (it's a city!) and nobody talks to each other. But on the other hand, I think it's easy for people to forget how great London is, and how colourful a history it has. The truth is, I like living here...and I like being reminded that I like living here, because in so many ways...London is awesome.

I'm not usually a reader of historical fiction, for some reason it's just never been a genre that I can get really interested in. Sometimes when I was reading the book, I was unsure what was fiction and what was taken from fact, and that annoyed me.

It skipped over quite a few things that would have been vastly interesting to read about, and at times that could be a little frustrating. Some important historical events were mentioned in passing or glossed over that I think I'd really have enjoyed reading about in more detail. However, understandably, the book is already 1300 pages long...spanning 2000 years...and the time periods covered by each individual chapter could (and no doubt do) have entire books dedicated to the events that happened in them. You might tell me I should go and read history books about those events then, if I really want to know about them, but I won't.

All in all, it was a good read...but London wasn't really my preferred kind of book. If it were me writing it, I'd have done it so differently. But it wasn't me writing it. I do appreciate the amount of research and history that the book did get in, but I still felt like the whole thing was lacking in feeling for me, perhaps just because I couldn't get as engrossed in the stories and characters as I wanted to.

• 1 month later...

I liked London, but I thought it was a bit forced. Sometimes the on-going connections between generations werent really necessary.

I bought it at a jumble sale, where I had forgotten that I had read his stuff before -Russka which I didnt like at all.

I think he's sort of a poor copy of James Michener, who does the multi-generation thig the best (Try the Covenant, about South africa, or the Source, about Israel, or Centennial, about Colorado USA) and you can see the genre done better, I think.

But I will likely try New York from the library, becuase I do like that city. But I will have moderatly low expectations..

• 2 weeks later...

I loved reading 'London'! I found it in a dusty pile of books on holiday in a chalet in France but didn't have time to finish it...I couldn't leave it unread but I also felt bad for stealing it so I had to buy a new copy when I got home!

Love the history and the way he traces several families through the generations! :)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have to say that Edward Rutherford is one of my favourite writers. Like most here I just love the way he can make the reader connect with the charachters and the effortless way he incorporates the country's constantly evolving history without you even feeling it!

I have picked up Rutherfords books in shops before and have heard many great reports about them. One thing that has stopped me reading one is that with the huge amount of countries and cultures he covers, is he actually a reliable authority on all of the places and historical events he writes about? Or is it the well written fictional aspect rather than the correct reporting of events that readers enjoy? Or does he do both brilliantly? As a fan of all things Gotham I would be keen to read the New York book.

Edited by Milo MInderbinder

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I read Sarum quite a while ago, and loved it.

I have London sitting amongst my TBR books. I will have to get around to reading it sometime.

I hadn't even heard of The Forest - I will have to investigate! wink.gif

just finished reading London and its one of the best books ive read. It made me start researching ancient Britain for myself. Will definitely be reading some more of his books

Looking back in thread I saw that in 2009 I noted that I had 'London' sitting on my shelf. I STILL haven't read it. Thanks Geordie, I will shuffle it nearer the front of the To Be Read shelf and maybe get to it in the next month or so!

• 2 months later...

I have read The Princes of Ireland and The Rebels of Ireland by Edward Rutherfurd and thought they were excellent books. I have thinking about reading New York based on some of the reviews but haven't decided yet?