Edward Rutherford

dakingavenue

London by Edward Rutherfurd is the best historical fiction novel I've read.

It's huge - thirteen hundred pages.

It takes you through sixteen centuries of the history of London, from Roman times right through to the developement of the docklands.

It's the story of London but also the story of the British Isles.

Each chapter revolves around a different generation, gradually moving through the ages. The characters are all geneticly related, a direct desent from Roman to present day.

This book should be on the national carriculum, as an history lesson for all British school children.

It might give them some pride in there country. If you like this book, then try Sarum by Rutherfurd, it's a more complete story of the whole of England.

Edited by Kell
Added capitals

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, London is an incredible book, so much detail and very readable. I also read Sarum and The Forest, by Edward Rutherford as well, which were both good too.

London`s the best one though, in my opinion. :smile2:

something terrible happened to me, not long ago, about this book. I was in the only english bookshop we have here, which is far from where I live, so I don't happen to be there often; while I was there I came across London. I suddently I fell in love with it. Just a second later I realized I didn't have any money with me. I had to leave it behind and come back to my normal life outside the library. now after a year I recall it reading this post. happy ending: I'll buy it soon on the net :smile2:

I've read London and Sarum, ages ago, and thoroughly enjoyed them, but Russka stopped me for some reason, I guess I should try again, I will eventually as it's on my shelf. I also have The Forest and the Irish books to be read.

• 2 weeks later...

Sarum and London have been in my TBR for quite a fews years now, they keep getting moved down the pile. I think it is now time to pull them out and give them a go. Hmmm, now what to read first, Sarum or London .........

Hi Chrissy, yes we went last year and loved it. That made me think of reading Sarum as I do love the history surrounding it. But best laid plans and all that ..........:) Will definitely give it a go (after I've read the Count of Monte Cristo - which could take some time :D).

why am I giving myself these doorstep challenges........

• 1 month later...
I've not heard of London, by Edward Rutherfurd until this thread - what an excellent theme for a book like that. Following the generations through London as the city develops. Great idea. 1300 pages though - wow!

It was so interesting it didn`t seem that long at all, honest! :) I really enjoyed it and would recommend his books. :)

I've always been fascinated with London, and I keep picking up this book in the bookstore, but never actually buying it. I think it's time I do. I can add it to The Pile. :)

• 3 weeks later...

This book is unexpectedly great. I say unexpectedly because it has been sitting on my shelf for abnout 2 years, from my days working in a book shop where many of my customers reccommended it to me. Personally I took one look at it and thought it was one of those pieces of historical fiction that was hardgoing and required a fair bit of time and patience to get through. However, I picked it up the other day, after exhausting my reading reserves and was instantly gripped. You certainly care about the characters and want to read on for the purposes of discovering what happens to them through their descendents (it does skip decades). But I have found the beauty of the novel is that is almost like a collection of seqential short stories. If you only have half an hour, you can read about the tears and triumphs of a single life/ family. You can then pick it up the next day and read about the tears and triumphs of that persons grandchild/ great grandchild. It is so unique and epic, but so highly readable!

I'm so glad I found this topic. I go to used sales and bookstores with a of authors and Rutherford is at the top of the list. I bought Sarum and The Forest, just last month, in an effort to compile all his titles. Still looking for London, the one I really want to read. Thanks to all of you, Sarum just moved to the top of my TBR pile.

• 3 weeks later...

I started reading it yesterday and so far I like it. Perhaps because I like to read about history topics. You learn something from this book and it has interesting stories.

I can't stop reading it now. It's getting more and more interesting, all day I was delaying to read this book, knowing it would be difficult to stop reading. Now I'm sleepy and yet I come online to read and write about this book. :D I should listen to my body and go to sleep now. I wish I could sleep and read at the same time.