Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

sarah1979

What a beautiful story, so emotive and passionate. I have to say that this is my favourite book of all time and im so sad that i have finished it as it was just fantastic! The dialogue between Jane and Mr Rochester was superb and had so much passion and deep love. Is it possible to fall in love with a book character because if it is then Mr Rochester gets my vote!:lol: What is everyone else's views of this great story?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to reading this one. It is on my to be read list and I am going to start it after I finish Wuthering Heights. Unfortunately I'm not sure when that will be as I am struggling through the start of it and continually being side-tracked by other books. Have you read Wuthering Heights?

Jane Eyre is one of my all time favourite books. I have probably re-read it at lease six times and I never get tired of the storyline.

I tried Wuthering Heights after I finished Jane Eyre quite recently and gave up quite quickly. I'm sure it is a very good book but it was so much harder to get into and I didn't want to spoil what I had just read. It is something I will have to go back to before too long and start again.

I haven't read Wuthering Heights but i do want to give it a go. My only problem now is that i loved Jane Eyre so much i dont know what im going to read next as nothing else seems to compare if that makes sense! Im also sad i have finished reading it as i just want to know what happens next, Charlotte Bronte wrote the characters so well you feel like you really know them. I may give Pride and Prejudice a go but i keep re reading the romantic parts of Jane Eyre they are so lovely! Sad arn't i!:smile2:

It does stray a little from the book in some of the finer details but the main storyline is the same. I enjoyed it when it first came out on tv and then bought my own copy on dvd when that came out.

Since finishing Jane Eyre i have ordered the BBc adaption of Jane Eyre, the most recent one. Have you seen it, is it good? I have seen clips on You tube and its seems good, i just hope it keeps to the story of the book.

I was determined to read the book before I watch the series (can't bear to do it the other way round!), and I enjoyed both the book and the series.

I would also recommend reading Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. It was inspired by Jane Eyre and tells the story of the first Mrs Rochester and her life before she married, through her wedding to Rochester and her move to England to be cared for by Grace Poole. Although very different, it was excellent and a very good companion to Jane Eyre.

I was determined to read the book before I watch the series (can't bear to do it the other way round!), and I enjoyed both the book and the series.

I would also recommend reading Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. It was inspired by Jane Eyre and tells the story of the first Mrs Rochester and her life before she married, through her wedding to Rochester and her move to England to be cared for by Grace Poole. Although very different, it was excellent and a very good companion to Jane Eyre.

I have Wild Sargasso Sea but have always put off reading it. I'm a bit bothered that it will spoil Jane Eyre for future reading.

I have Wild Sargasso Sea but have always put off reading it. I'm a bit bothered that it will spoil Jane Eyre for future reading.

I didn't spoil it for me, but I've only read Jane Eyre once, and although I enjoyed it, it isn't a beloved favourite for me, so I was happy to embrace another dimension to the story by reading Wide Sargasso Sea. My friend thinks Jane Eyre is a children's book, and by that measure, I would say Wide Sargasso Sea is the grown up companion to the story.

I didn't spoil it for me, but I've only read Jane Eyre once, and although I enjoyed it, it isn't a beloved favourite for me, so I was happy to embrace another dimension to the story by reading Wide Sargasso Sea. My friend thinks Jane Eyre is a children's book, and by that measure, I would say Wide Sargasso Sea is the grown up companion to the story.

I read that book and loved it. Strangely I began reading it with the idea that it was the Jane Eyre story through the eyes of Bertha. I was delighted when I realized the premise of the book. I think that the author, Jean Rhys, did a wonderful job of making this "prequel" believable and respectful of the original book

Edited by Wilde Lily

Since finishing Jane Eyre i have ordered the BBc adaption of Jane Eyre, the most recent one. Have you seen it, is it good? I have seen clips on You tube and its seems good, i just hope it keeps to the story of the book.

It does stray a little from the book in some of the finer details but the main storyline is the same. I enjoyed it when it first came out on tv and then bought my own copy on dvd when that came out.

The BBC series is quite good, I thought it seemed a bit rushed in parts but it's worth watching

My favorite film version is the BBC's 1983 production, starring Timothy Dalton and Zelah Clarke. It stays true to the book, and Jane ans Mr. Rochester are played the way I imagine them.

JaneEyre.jpg

Jane Eyre is one of my all time favourite books. I have probably re-read it at lease six times and I never get tired of the storyline.

I tried Wuthering Heights after I finished Jane Eyre quite recently and gave up quite quickly. I'm sure it is a very good book but it was so much harder to get into and I didn't want to spoil what I had just read. It is something I will have to go back to before too long and start again.

Someone on another forum mentioned that in her experience with other readers, she found that people that enjoyed Jane Eyre, didn't enjoy Wuthering Heights as well, I haven't read WH yet, so can't say if that's the case for me or not. /sigh/ It's 'in the stack'. :irked:

I began Wide Sargasso Sea, and couldn't get into it. Perhaps I didn't give it enough time, but their view of Rochester was too irritating for me to put up with, he is one of my favorite characters in literature.

My favorite film version is the BBC's 1983 production, starring Timothy Dalton and Zelah Clarke. It stays true to the book, and Jane ans Mr. Rochester are played the way I imagine them.

JaneEyre.jpg

That's the version I love as well! :friends0:

• 1 month later...

I am currently half way through Jane Eyre, and I am hating every moment of this book. The story is very boring and dry. The characters have no energy or life and Jane Eyre is a dull lead character. It seems that all the charaters are painted to be wicked so Jane Eyre can shine like Cinderella, when Jane herself is just as stuck-up as the rest of the characters representing the upper class.

I absolutley Love this Story , it was my favourite when I was growing up and I have 3 copies , one is in mint conditon , the first one is really tatty from reading it so many times and the 2nd one is still in ok conditions but has pages folded over lol! I love it !

I'm about three-quarters of the way through this book (will probably finish it this afternoon) and am really enjoying it. Wuthering Heights is on my TBR list and I was going to read it next, but judging by the comments below I'll probably leave it for a while in case I find it disappointing in comparison. Therefore Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons has just been promoted to the next-to-be-read position.

• 3 weeks later...

I love Jane Eyre. I read Wuthering Heights straight after and didn't enjoy it as much as I did Jane Eyre.

The story is just beautiful. Strangely, I do prefer the start of the book when we see Jane as a child, growing up. We follow her journey of growing up and I found myself caring for her by the end.

One of my favourite lines of the whole book is

"Reader, I married him"

So brilliantly simple and heart warming :D

Edited by TeaBag

One of my favourite lines of the whole book is

"Reader, I married him"

. So brilliantly simple and heart warming :D

You should have put this as a spoiler, cause it's a major one :D

Personally, though I believe that Jane Eyre is one of the best books I've ever read, I think that Wuthering Heights was better. In Jane Eyre, I enjoyed writing, characters, etc. but...in WH, Heathcliff and Catherine's expression of their passion was so vivid and violent, yet so real and emotional and I don't think that Charlotte Bronte managed to achieve that in JE.

By no means I'm saying that it's not a fantastic book, quite the opposite...I just think it doesn't top WH.

That's my opinion :)

Edited by Michelle

Oh dear, I didn't think of the spoiler thing! ooops, is there any way I can edit it?! Sorry!

I think you make a valid point regarding WH. I think the reason why I prefer Jane Eyre is simply because I loved and cared for the characters. In WH, I found it a struggle to actually like any of the characters, in fact, I found them so annoying! I did however think Heathcliff had so many layers to him and he was an enjoyable enigma.

• 2 months later...

I was required to read both Wide Sargasso Sea and Jane Eyre for my course and I have mixed feelings about Jane Eyre...

SPOILERS ABOUND!!!

I liked the story to begin with - the whole gothic element was a refreshing addition to the preriod drama - and I loved the ambiguousness of Bertha's sanity (was she insane because she was repressed or was she repressed because she was insane) - but the ending was so long winded, going off to find family and come across money just so then she could feel on par with Rochester. (I'm a guy btw)

I liked WSS because it had a pre-determined ending, the story was not about what happened to Antoinette, but show she got there. I really liked that idea.