Dreams from my father by Barack Obama

Chimera

Blurb

Before Barack Obama became a politician he was, among other things, a writer. Dreams from my father is his masterpiece: a refreshing, revealing portrait of a young man asking the big questions about identity and belonging.

The son of a black African father and a white American mother, Obama recounts an emotional odyssey. He retraces the migration of his mother’s family from Kansas to Hawaii, then to his childhood home in Indonesia. Finally, he travels to Kenya, where he confronts the bitter truth of his father’s life and at last reconciles his divided inheritance.

Review

This is a book that I finished reading a couple of weeks ago but with one thing and another, and probably some apprehension as to how to review it (I’ll do my best, please don’t flame me! icon_wink.gif ), I haven’t gotten round to writing about it yet.

When I decided to pick it up it was of course because I hoped, probably like all the other persons who rushed to buy it in the last months, that it would give me some insight into Barack Obama’s life track and personality. I thought that, more than The audacity of hope which is a political essay, it would allow me to better understand just who the new President of the United States is. And of course it did, as much as an autobiography can, but I also found it had a lot to offer, independently of who it’s author has become, on the themes of culture and identity.

Dedicated to Obama’s life up until the end of his studies in Harvard, Dreams from my father explores the way in which he constructed himself from a completely unusual background. Indeed it seems that he grew up constantly searching for his own identity: as a small child, when he was lulled by his family’s tales about his absent father and origins ; as a ten year old, when he lived in Indonesia and was both pushed towards and grabbed away from this new culture by his mother, who was unsure of where she stood herself ; as a teenager, living in Hawaii with his white grandparents who adored him but were still wary of black men ; as a college student trying to show that he truly was part of the black ‘brotherhood’, despite being of mixed origins ; as a young man working as a ‘community organiser’, trying to bridge the gaps between different communities in Chicago… and finally as an adult visiting for the first time the country of his father.

The resulting account is fascinating, a very rich reflection on what brought him to make the life choices he made and a basis to all his present declarations. You can feel all through the part dedicated to his work as a community organiser that this is just where his Philadelphia speech on race originated. It also is a very dense and demanding read which sometimes seems to drag as Barack Obama delves into his thoughts and questions his own actions… A trend which certainly shows much of the man he his, prone to reflect and consider every aspect of an issue before taking any decision.

But Dreams from my father definitely is worth sticking to it till the end and dedicating it all the time needed. Will it make you (even) more confident about the new American President’s abilities to lead such a strategic country? Not necessarily, but it certainly is encouraging!

Edited by Chimera

• 1 month later...

An excellent review of an excellent book. Chimera, you've captured, perfectly, the essence of Obama's memoir. I read it after reading Audacity of Hope and they provide insightful portraits of a complex and brilliant man. He's not only a great leader and politician, he's also a great writer.

Yes, it's definitely worth it! I read it last year and it was fascinating, funny, and very insightful.

Great review...this is one I haven't read yet.

A good friend of mine has a severly disabled son (he's 19) who has cerebal palsy. He's in a wheelchair can't speak and is a quadraplegic but he absolutely loves to listen to audio books and she was telling me today he wants this title (she has her own wee way of communicating to him). He really likes Barrack Obama so I got him Waterstones gift voucher for his birthday recently so she's gonna try to get him the audio version. :)

Thanks Chimera :lol:. He is a delightful boy, or should I say young man, and loves listening to stories (he adored Harry Potter when he was younger). He's also mesmerised by Barrack Obama and my friend was worried at first that it was his voice which her son was more interested in and that it probably wouldn't be the president himself reading, but she then assertained that no, it was his story the lad wanted to hear.

He's also mesmerised by Barrack Obama and my friend was worried at first that it was his voice which her son was more interested in and that it probably wouldn't be the president himself reading, but she then assertained that no, it was his story the lad wanted to hear.

Well then he won't be disapointed, the story IS fascinating. *grin*