Help - lost the will to read!!

Struggling to get motivated by a good book at the moment. I usually read fantasy and also like historical fiction. I have started several books recently but I have actually given up on several recently (which I never normall do): books I've dumped are Men of Bronze and Brisingr amongst several others.

I've read Simon Scarrow but his last book Centurion was a repeat of an earlier work.

I have:- The way of the Shadows (Bbrent Weeks), Caught in the Light (Robert Goddard), A Gladiator Dies only Once (Steven Saylor), Hand in Glove (Robert Goddard) The Sword of Revenge (Jack Ludlow) sitting by my bedside. Any recommendations??

David, hoping for a cure!!

I have had several spells since I was a teenager in which I didn't read a single book. I always found the type of book that got me back into it was one that is highly addictive.

Take the start of this year for instance. Prior to the start of January I hadn't read for quite a while, and then I read the Twilight series on my girlfriend's urging. Even though I didn't think the books were the best I have ever read, they were addictive and I read them all in under two weeks. Since then I haven't stopped reading.

Sometimes I find that re reading an old favourite can help, one that I really enjoyed, but have forgotten some of the details.

Other times I make myself pick a book and stick with it - read until I want to read!

Horrible isn't it? But remember - this will pass - you will read and enjoy again soon! :lol:

I'm having a minor-version of your problems. I'm still reading, just not as much in the last week. Have you tried Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan. Or Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman. - Brilliant books. :lol:

Struggling to get motivated by a good book at the moment. I usually read fantasy and also like historical fiction. I have started several books recently but I have actually given up on several recently (which I never normall do): books I've dumped are Men of Bronze and Brisingr amongst several others.

Might it be that you're suffering from genre-fatigue? If so, I'd take a break from all of those books and try something a bit lighter: either collections of short stories that you can pick up and put down at any time without having to worry about leaving something half-finished, or something similar but in a different genre.

Might it be that you're suffering from genre-fatigue? If so, I'd take a break from all of those books and try something a bit lighter: either collections of short stories that you can pick up and put down at any time without having to worry about leaving something half-finished, or something similar but in a different genre.

I was thinking the same thing. I've had this myself. I bought too many crime novels a few years ago and got bored of reading the same genre. Alot of books I bought then have yet to be read. If you mix up your reading tastes. Pick up a book from a completely different genre. You may think your not interested but you may surprise yourself and it will bring back your thirst.

I agree with Seiichi's thought on reading some short stories. I bought a few myself and when I know I don't feel like reading a whole book or have hardly any time too they help.

I would suggest browsing areas of a bookshop you wouldn't normally and buy a few books from different genres so you can pick and choose what takes your fancy when you feel like reading, rather than commiting to one type and having no options. I know that keeps me going.

We all go through downers and lack of motivation until we find the right book, I hope your thirst returns soon, so many books, so little time.:D

I`d agree with the idea of trying short stories. It helps to be able to read in short bursts and in the past I`ve found this has helped me to relax and enjoy reading again. :D

David I hope you find the cure that suits you soon.

No cure needed, once a reader always a reader.

I absolutely agree with this. If you love reading, it doesn't matter if for a short while you don't want to. trying to impose to yourself something to read might work but I don't think it's right. Don't want to read for a while. Then don't. If you like films, tv series, going to theater, music, well do these things instead. you'll be to your books before you think.

Thanks all. May have been unlucky with recent choice of books. Had a week in hospital (very restful) and read 1 book. So unlike me. I think a change in genre is a good suggestion or reading an old favourite. Ian Irvine is good and I will tackle him next. I have a stack of books by my bed and hopefully the advise above will kick start me!!

Wheeeeee. :smile2: