Book buys: Internet or bookshop?

Simonsays

My favourite charity shop is the British Heart Foundation one in our town too. I've got some real gems there and the condition of their books seems to be a bit better too. The fact that they don't write on them helps. :)

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. Must see if the BHF charity shops have a webbysite, therefore allowing me to locate the one nearest to me :) velvet apart (which isn't all that common; I'm pretty sure this is the first velvet book I've ever owned), removable stickers sound good :lol:.

Although, to celebrate my post-May 11th relative freedom from deadlines, I think I shall take myself down to Waterstone's Picadilly - how can I have lived in London for more than six months now and not have had the time yet to pop into the largest bookshop in europe? Shame on me.

I don't mind either really. If I am wanting something specific I will probably order online. If I want to browse I will probably go to a book shop. I prefer small book shops to huge ones. I love used book shops where you can usually find a few real treasures.

Although, to celebrate my post-May 11th relative freedom from deadlines, I think I shall take myself down to Waterstone's Picadilly - how can I have lived in London for more than six months now and not have had the time yet to pop into the largest bookshop in europe? Shame on me.

Really? I shall have to make a trip in the summer. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I use both shops (2nd hand/charityshops mostly)and online. I preffer online since it is easier to get a specific book and there's more variety for different genres. In shops most times I'd have to enquire after a book only to be told it may have to be ordered in if I'm lucky. Other times I get told that "it is an imported book I'm afraid", meaning if may take up to a month if ordered or my request is futile. I also make use of my local libraries so I'm not always buying books.

• 3 months later...

I buy books online - mainly (although not solely) from Amazon uk - and I must say, I personally don't know of any payment methods alternative to credit/debit cards. Is there a specific reason why you don't want to use your card? Your details are kept safe, I can vouch for that in view of all the different procedures I need to go through every time I want to send stuff to a new address etc.

I do. Pretty much all of my purchasing is done online. Bookstores in Australia are just so expensive. I use the Book Depository. Although its more expensive than Amazon it has free worldwide delivery so it ends up being a great deal cheaper than any of the alternatives.

In relation to your problem, maybe get a very low limit credit card if you are worried about fraud?

I too buy most of my books from Amazon and I think they have one of the securist online payments going. If you are not truly happy with paying this way, Paypal is a good alternative.

I buy mostly non fiction online, as the fiction paperbacks to be honest with 3 for 2's are just as cheap to buy in bricks and mortar stores, and I like to support them when I can. That said, I have never had any problems with paying online. It isn't just books I buy but lots of things.

Book Depository? Sound interesting. I'm going to google it right after writing this post. I've never heard about it.

Well, about paying online... I had no problems about paying by paypal or credit card but things have changed now, since I moved to Austria. As a non-working student I can't have a credit card. I have Maestro card, which is not supported by Paypal (no idea why). I've tried adding it to my previous account, I've created a new one - useless. Asking my mother to pay for my books is not a good idea, so prepayed card is a really good alternative for me. I buy paysafecard amazon vouchers and have no headache about paying for my books.

Paying online by card should not be a problem as long as you are using a reputable store that has ssl (look for the little padlock symbol on your browser when at the payment screen) And paypal is also handy to use :blush:

I like to browse and get lost in all the shelves, there's some special atmosphere about bookshops and libraries that i love. Plus, i have had no money for a long time, but when i start saving again, i will probably browse more for deals online :blush: