Book buys: Internet or bookshop?

Simonsays

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the one hand I really in favour of the book trade, i.e. buying in book shops. I used to work in one, and it's quite sad to see that many are struggling because of online book stores.

On the other hand, I'm currently not in the UK. English books are really expensive and hard to find, not to mention less well-known authors. With the amount I read on top of all that, the internet is the obvious choice for now.

I don't prefer any over the other.

Bookshops. I usually go to cheaper bookstores or bookfests, and I love that feeling of accomplishment when I walk out with my arms/a bag full of books without having lost a lot of money. I love the feeling of walking through a bookshop as well - being surrounded by books of all shapes and sizes and randomly picking out books, sometimes being surprised. I do prefer them to be organised by author, though.

Internet. What I like about internet is that it usually offers books that I can't find in any bookstores locally or in Ghent, and they often come at a very reasonable price. I also love receiving packages with the post. I love that thrill of waiting for a book, waiting for the mailman, getting that package, opening it, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

If I want something specific I order online since its easy and fast. I only do this when I really really want a book though. I buy the rest of my books in second hand shops. They are often very cheep and you never know what you will find.

I will say that I prefer internet to buy books because it's easier for me to have foreign books though I go sometimes in bookshops. I feel home in bookshops too.But I will feel better if I could find all the books I want there than on the internet.

I prefer physical bookshops - especially my favourite used-books-store in my home-town.

But living where I do now, with no book-stores anywhere nearby - I'm grateful for the online book-stores.

I'd be quite lost without them.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I browse in stores and buy online. Waterstones and WH Smith are my mainstream local bookstores and the prices are ridiculous in comparison to Amazon or eBay.

It is fun browsing and purchasing from charity shops too, but I often get carried away and end up buying too many books which I don't/won't read.

When I was in Waterstone's (I refuse to lose the apostrophe, no matter how they brand it) the other day, I noticed they had an offer on for 'Buy One Get One Half Price' - interesting, as they were adamant when they were sold off from the HMV chain a while back that they would not continue the '3 for 2' offer as they didn't want to just sell books cheaply, they wanted to cultivate their service as booksellers, and would not be doing the discount as such, but marketing at set price brands instead, but this is almost the same offer back again!  (Effectively, rounded up, it's '4 for 3' instead of '3 for 2').

The store near me has pretty much always continued to have offers on of one kind or another. I did really like the 3 for 2 deal and really wanted them to bring it back. It's the staff which make the service good, the price has little bearing on that in my opinion. I love browsing bookshops but I am trying to now buy an e-book version in place of a physical book if it is cheaper.

We do buy books online, primarily from Amazon, either new or from their Marketplace.  If it is new, it's at least 1/3rd off the "original" price, so not so bad.

However there are two nice second hand stores quite close to us (as close as anything in the "country") and they have some selection.  

I like second hand stores and Library Sales as one never knows what one will run into.  We'll find books we didn't even know we wanted.  :D But I tend to be a bit of a scrounger, so enjoy the search, it's part of the fun.

I pretty much only read English originals, even though I live in Germany. Now, most German bookstores do have a small section for English books, but those are usually just pretty mainstream stuff, and easily 50% more expensive than buying online.

I still supported one local bookstore I liked for some time, and would get most of my stuff there, but they keep making the English section smaller all the time. Also, prices of English books I ordered to be delivered would suddenly go up from what I was quoted. And that wasn't just when they had to be delivered from America or Britain, taking 6-8 week. Sometimes I'd get a book I ordered the day before and found they wanted more money, "since the dollar rate changed".

So I'm pretty much done with that bullshit and just order from Amazon. I pay less, get my books faster, and only pay what I'm quoted when I order. It's full win for me. :D

Mostly in bookshop, but, recently, I've started to read on my kindle, and obviously I buy my books on amazon.

It's less expansive than buy in a bookshop, and I love my kindle. ahahah

Besides, I've always searched books before in internet, and then went in a bookshop, to minimize the time ;)

• 1 month later...

If we will compare both book store and internet than i will prefer internet source because from student point of view sell and buy
textbooks online is better way because it saves time, effort and money.

Another main thing is that we have a lot websites where we
can explore Cheap used textbooks. I think due to technology advancement Online
sources are better.

• 1 month later...

I buy books online occasionally, but put me in a Barnes & Noble and I could spend a ridiculous amount of money because the attractive covers, ability to read synopsis, and page through the books. Nothing beats physically handling the book before buying it. 

There is a really cute used book shop near my house that I have been wanting to visit for a long time. I would love to support smaller shops like that. 

I would hate to lose my local bookshops so I do tend to buy from them as much as I can. Browsing books on the internet is nothing like as good as browsing the bookstore. Having said all that I do, of course, use Amazon and BD quite a lot .. it's just I try and spread it between them.

Waterstone's have just told me that their stamp scheme (you get a stamp when you spend £10 and then when your card is full - 10 stamps - you get a £10 voucher) finishes in April which is a bit of a disappointment as they've had that scheme for a while now and at Christmas I've always managed to accumulate enough stamps to get at least one free book :blush2: I quite like their 'buy one get one half price' deal as they've usually got good books on offer and it's more manageable that their old 'three for two' offer .. I always struggled on that third choice and most of them are still propping up my TBR :blush2: They still have their loyalty card too and I think you get 3p for every £1 you spend or something.

Besides if Waterstone's went then their Costa coffee would go .. and Claire and I have a special corner in it now :D so in order for us to have somewhere to go and chat (because there are no other cafes in Ciren :giggle:) I must keep spending my money in there .. it's a duty .. I'm not really enjoying it :giggle:  ;)  :D  

• 3 months later...

I love the little cafes in Waterstones.

Waterstones seems to be the main bookstore here. I love browsing through their stores, although I've been to the one in my local citycentre so often now that I know where certain books are because of the way the shelves are organised in alphabetical order.

I especially enjoy looking at their special collections of classics, the book covers always look so beautiful.

When it comes to buying books though, I am a fan of the internet. I generally check if a book is available on the kindle first, otherwise I order them from Amazon anyway. Since getting a Waterstones card I've also been buying books off the Waterstones website.

My stacks of books are getting a bit big now, so I've started to only buy books available on the kindle.

I know a few people who go to bookstores and note down books that catch their eye, then go off to buy them online where they can be found for a much cheaper price.

Waterstone's have just told me that their stamp scheme (you get a stamp when you spend £10 and then when your card is full - 10 stamps - you get a £10 voucher) finishes in April

Nooo! :( Edited by Angury

I love browsing in any bookstore, I do like the internet prices better.

I generally buy books at both, especially to keep the bookstore alive.

But too often I did order a specific English book and they come with a different version, Like ordering the US edition of Dr. Sleep and getting the UK version. When I ask them about it they tend to be angry with me for asking such stupid things. And then I order for a while on the internet.

I just bought a collection of 30's Edgar Wallaces in their red hardcovers, and those you find on the net easier than in most shops.