Book buys: Internet or bookshop?

Simonsays

Have any of you seen the Book Depository's new "Watch people shop" feature? I just discovered it and it's pretty neat! It shows you a map with pins, like we now find on tons of websites, except this one moves around as people buy books. One minute it'll show you europe and say that someone just bought The Flying Troutmans (raises guilty hand) and the next it'll zoom round the hearth and anounce that someone in Australia got hold of Blaze of Memory... and on and on, round the earth and shelves it goes :D

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I buy books both in store and online, however I probably buy the majority of my books online. When I buy books from Amazon I tend to buy numerous books at once, sometimes up to 10 at a time, whereas when buying in store I might only buy one or two at a time. I do love browsing in store and can spend hours doing so, but for me online is cheaper and more convenient so that's my overall preference.

• 2 months later...

My favorite hobby is buying books in a secondhand bookshop. Why secondhand? Because it's all so random, and people who go there are dedicated readers, and you never know what you might find. And the price is right, as I'm a student :blush: I don't like 'real' bookshops because I can't afford to buy anything there. I love looking at the books and feeling them, but I hate it that I can only look (and fondle) but not buy. So I mostly do my bookshopping in secondhand shops, and online. Online book buying is rather impersonal, but on the other hand, you can search the books you really want, and in 95% of the cases I always find what I'm looking for. And it's cheaper. I hate it that I don't get to see the condition of the book that I'm purchasing, but I love it that in a couple of days I'll have a package in my mail box. It's great :smile2:

• 3 months later...

I love browsing in my local waterstones. I love flicking through the pages and being able to see the book itself before buying it is good. Or if your just looking for a book to read the staff are always great for recommendations. Even if there's a book thats not there, you can always order it. I am guilty of being a regular user of amazon though because I often find myself needing more books but have no time to go into town and browse. The internet is there 24/7 and it only takes two seconds to press a button and its paid for - no long queues. Plus the prices are almost always a lot less.

• 2 months later...

I buy from bookshops AND the internet! I prefer to use bookshops, but often it's hard to find the book I'm after. Also, when you can get books for 1p from Amazon sellers, it's very tempting! Even with p+p added, it's still cheap. I do prefer to use independent bookshops if possible though - both on the internet and actual shops.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't actually mind and buy a lot of my books online. With the feature of being able to "Look Inside" the book on Amazon I spend hours browsing through first before I commit to buying. I also read the reviews to get the jist. I have to try to save money as much as possible so if I was buying in the bookshop (Waterstones, WHSmiths) I wouldn't be able to buy as many books seeing as they are generally full price in store but reduced online.

I do love to go into The Works and look in there, also like to go to charity shops and look at the books. I have a huge list saved on my laptop of books I'd like to buy and I often review this list by double checking though the "Look Inside" to see if its a definite, a maybe or can be forgotten about.

That makes me sound weird :P

• 1 month later...

I prefer online, mainly for the great deals you can get on Amazon and eBay. I find bookshops have such a limited range and the RRP is so expensive now. Even with a Waterstones 3 for 2 offer (If I can find three I want) I still end up paying £16-£18 whereas online I find browsing easier (too easy at times... can get carried away) and so much cheaper. I could get the same 3 books online for £12 -14 brand new... and much cheaper second hand.

That being said, bookshops are still great to have a browse... I just rarely buy from them.

Most of my book buys are now ebooks, so all are internet buys, and I've stopped browsing and buying in Waterstone's for the most part, but if I do go to one of my favourite independents bookshops (which doesn't happen often as the closest one is at least an hour away) then I make the effort to spend a long time browsing and always buy at least one book to support them.

• 1 month later...

ultimately whatevers cheaper is always the best option, most of the time I'd say charity shops, just because of how meny books they get in, and how cheap people price them at.

I would sort of sugest boot sales as well.

But honestly if I could save a pound I'd go on the net, no fuel used that way.

But any way I'm thinking to set up a business or just do it for fun, buying and selling books but don't have a clue, so would like some advice as to where to start looking to learn it all.

Thanks

when I buy authors I already have, I look for deals in supermarkets or online. Sometimes I do find them in charity shops. When looking for someone new I will tend to try charity shops. I do browse in bookshops but I don't tend to buy.