Book buys: Internet or bookshop?

Simonsays

I mainly buy online as the nearest Waterstones is in the City and never go in there. I do buy sometimes when I am at the supermarket, or at an Airport. I love looking along the shelves and find a book that you have never even heard of. I buy books (most of my random ones) at my local caharity shops, becuase they are cheap and I pass them everyday :blush:.

But I do buy online, either via Ebay, Amazon or Play.com. I use a Prepaid/ topup card. I have a prepaid Paypal card that you can buy for 4.50 I think? and I got it due to being slightly worried about online Fraud. I buy all my small items on there. I just wish I could book my flights with it also.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine had some really bad experiences with his Visa card! It was duplicated and someone spent a lot of money! Luckily he did not have to pay this, but he could not use his card for more than a month. So I think buying a card and use this like cash is a safe and easy way to pay online! But I don

There is enough info on the paysafecard homepage but only in German version. :blush: I wish I knew why.

And talking about having your credit card details stolen - yes, you get the money back. But it is such a pain in the ass, pardon my language, that it's just not worth it. You'd save time and health by using something like paysafe card for online shopping, I think.

...as others have suggested Ebay via paypal or cheque is always an idea.

I would be very wary about using a cheque for Ebay purchases just because it contains my name, account number and sort code. Perhaps I'm over cautious though...

I buy from both Alibris & Amazon Marketplace and have got a lot of bargains thru the years,but also enjoy browsing in libraries/bookshops. I visited Durham a few weeks ago and must've spent about 45 minutes browsing in their Oxfam shop with that old booky smell and great background music! It helps when their shelves are alphabetical. I was quite amazed at finding 3 books on my TBR list.

Online and book~shops, I go into Glasgow to go the shop Fopp, which sells books at brilliant prices and I use amazon when I am shopping online, usually if I have seen a book (after I have bought one), which I like the look of, I keep a note of it and then order it online.

:eek2:

@Green_shoe: Could it be, that you can use paysafecard vouchers only at amazon.de?

I didn't realise that, I've ordered so many books from different online-shops using different paying options recently that I forgot that. Yea, I've used this paysafecard voucher for amazon.de, I had to buy some books for university. I wish I had time to read them all in a week.

I buy from bookshops because I'm worried that if everybody starts buying all their books online they will close all the bookshops!!:D

I do realise that it's going to be difficult keeping Waterstones going by myself, but I like to do my little bit!

And I agree with Gyre, Fopp is fantastic!

I usually prefer to buy in shops or at book fairs but I've recently turned to the internet a bit more and bought books from ebay, Amazon and the Book Depository. They work out so much cheaper than buying them in Australia, where books are ridiculously expensive.