Book buys: Internet or bookshop?

Simonsays

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing compares, for me, to browsing in a bookshop and flipping through the pages.. I'm particular about the font size, font shade, and size of the books I buy, so browsing in person is great for me. But I do think the internet is really handy if there's a book you can't get ahold of from the shop. :D

Definitely in a shop, I almost never buy books online, even though they are cheaper. I like to browse, even if I already know what I want to buy, and that's so much easier in a shop. Plus I like to pick books up, see how big they are, read the back, flick through, you can't do that online

I buy entirely online.

It's cheaper than in shops and at the end of the day no matter how a book looks - it's the content that matters. I can't afford to be spending the rediculous amounts my local Waterstones asks (nearly €10 for a new paperback? I can get it for €5 maximum including shipping on Amazon.)

I also don't actually feel at all comfortable in 'new' bookshops - only secondhand ones. Waterstones et al are just too.... I dunno. I'm a scruffy student, they don't suit me. I do buy a lot in secondhand bookshops though I must admit.

But internet will always win out.

I much prefer being able to browse in a shop, but I love the convenience of online shopping (I never would have managed Xms last year without it!).

Yeah I'm the same, I buy mostly online as I don't get to go into book shops much, but when I do I always end up leaving with something :D

Got to be shop at the moment. Like many others on here I can't beat roaming the shelves. I don't do online shopping because I'm only 15, lol. I imagine I will a lot when I'm older though, as I can be quite lazy and the convenience of it would be too good to pass up on.

I love both! There's nothing better than browsing in a bookshop but I love the availability on the internet. My local Waterstone's is gorgeous and massive so I do love going in there :D. But Waterstone's is so expensive and they tend to be a lot cheaper online. Play.com for me!

I'm usually buying books that have been recommended, so it's far easier to buy online. I only need a shop if I'm browsing.

:irked:

Bookshops are a treat though. Theres nothing nicer than a browsing day in a bookshop with a few purchases thrown in. I also buy a lot of books in charity shops too :D

I always check in Borders before I purchase on the internet however their range is awful. I couldn't even get the 'Noughts and Crosses' books from Borders! I had to use Amazon.

Really?! I'm sure they have it at our Borders although their children's section isn't as big as Waterstones.

I noticed our Borders has a psychology section the other day and I'm missing my studies so I might go and look next time I'm in town, I prefer Waterstones but their psychology section is rubbish, it's mainly textbook type books rather than ones you'd read all the way through, and really small (like when you take out stuff like revision books it's about a case), I'm hoping Border's section will be better

Shops for browsing everytime, but I do like ocassionally internetting for good reviews sometimes before I buy (and here of course). I do compare prices on the internet if I want a good deal and there seems to be plenty competition out there too.

Really?! I'm sure they have it at our Borders although their children's section isn't as big as Waterstones.

I noticed our Borders has a psychology section the other day and I'm missing my studies so I might go and look next time I'm in town, I prefer Waterstones but their psychology section is rubbish, it's mainly textbook type books rather than ones you'd read all the way through, and really small (like when you take out stuff like revision books it's about a case), I'm hoping Border's section will be better

Our Borders out here in Brisbane didn't have it. They rarely have any of the books I am after. From the brief time I spent in the UK a year or so ago it seemed that your book shops were far superior to ours.

Our Borders out here in Brisbane didn't have it. They rarely have any of the books I am after. From the brief time I spent in the UK a year or so ago it seemed that your book shops were far superior to ours.

That's rubbish

That's rubbish

I know. Last Saturday I compiled a list of books I wanted to buy, mainly from people's recommendations on here, and took it down to Borders. The list contained around 10 fiction titles, all which seemed to be relatively popular. Borders didn't have a single one!