The Pleasure of my Company by Steve Martin

Bronwen

I didn't know what to expect when picking up a book of Steve Martin's, but this was such a pleasant enjoyable book it quickly became one of my favourites and has engraved itself on my memory ever since.

Not sure what category to put it in - it's definitely comedy though, and so very hysterically funny at that.

The book centres around the main character Daniel Pecan Cambridge, and starts when Daniel first receives a notification (and error) from MENSA with some bad news about his application.

Daniel is a young man (never really establish his age as it changes a bit based on who he's talking to) who has serious problems and OCD to the point where he can't cross pavements unless there's 2 opposing scooped-out driveways, and can't function in his apartment unless there's a specific amount of wattage.

He is also a genius and uses giant magic squares to help calm himself down.

But this is such a lovely, heart warming book at the same time - Daniel starts out alone with nothing but letters from his gran and along the way he meets some great characters.

I won't say anymore because it will spoil the story (hope I haven't so far, not used to writing reviews!) but I hope you will read it because it is most definitely worth reading and I personally love this book and have read and re-read it :lol:

I've got this one to read. Bought it when I read his first novel, Shopgirl. Shopgirl is far better than the film, and I found it surprising. I wasn't expecting such a moving book from a stand up comedian. I think I should now go and watch Roxanne!!