Chinese Books

lola-rose

I've not read a huge amount of books set in China, but two I enjoyed were this historical novel Empress Orchid by Amchee Min, and a book of contemporary short stories A Thousand Years of Good Prayers by Yiyun Li. Both were very good, and friend I know who've read them, also thought they were great.

Might I suggest:

Adeline Yen Mah. She has a book about a Chinese cinderella "Falling Leaves" I think it's called.

Amy Tan's "The Kitchen God's Wife" is one of my favourites. Her book "The Joy Luck Club" is another I would recommend.

Ma Jian's "The Noodle Maker" and "Stick out Your Tongue".

"Red Azalea" and "Becoming Madame Mao" by Anchee Min.

Jung Chang's "Wild Swans".

"Balzac and The Little Chinese Seamstress" by Dai Saijia

"Shanghai Baby" by Wei Hui. Only one on this list I've not read but it has been highly recommended to me.

Hope this helps :) ~ Trish.

You could also try some of the classics. There's The Dream of Red Mansions (Dream of the Red Chamber), which is one of the first novels to have been written. For fantasy, there's Journey to the West --- that's if you want to read the story behind the BBC's Beijing Olympics animated introduction and understand some of the religious aspects of China. I think most of the contemporary fiction I know would be more suitable for older teens and adults.

I used to own The Picador Book of Contemporary Chinese Fiction, which is a book of short stories. I remember having mixed feelings about the book but at least it gives a picture of what Chinese life is like.

Edited by Seiichi
Added "The Picador Book of Contemporary Chinese Fiction"

You may also enjoy the Russian Concubine which, despite the title, actually takes place in an International Settlement shortly after the Russian Revolution and is set around the rise of Communist China. It is very informative.

Might I suggest:

Adeline Yen Mah. She has a book about a Chinese cinderella "Falling Leaves" I think it's called.

Amy Tan's "The Kitchen God's Wife" is one of my favourites. Her book "The Joy Luck Club" is another I would recommend.

Ma Jian's "The Noodle Maker" and "Stick out Your Tongue".

"Red Azalea" and "Becoming Madame Mao" by Anchee Min.

Jung Chang's "Wild Swans".

"Balzac and The Little Chinese Seamstress" by Dai Saijia

"Shanghai Baby" by Wei Hui. Only one on this list I've not read but it has been highly recommended to me.

Hope this helps :) ~ Trish.[/quote/

I think i am going to try "falling leaves",thanks for the sugestion!

There are the books written by Han Suyin. She is a half Chinese, half European author and has written a whole series of books, the best known of which was called Love is a Many Splendoured Thing. It tells the story of a a relationship between an American reporter and a Eurasion Doctor and the prejudice that they face. I highly recommend all of her books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_Suyin

Edited by Talisman