The Shakespeare Secret by J. L. Carrell

Nollaig

Synopsis from back cover:

A modern serial killer - hunting an ancient secret. A woman is left to die as the rebuilt Globe theatre burns. Another woman is drowned like Ophelia, skirts swirling in the water. A professor has his throat slashed open on the steps of Washington's Capitol building. A deadly serial killer is on the loose, modelling his murders on Shakespeare's plays. But why is he killing? And how can he be stopped? A gripping, shocking page turner, The Shakespeare Secret masterfully combines modern murder and startling true revelations from the life of Shakespeare. It has been acclaimed as one of the most compulsively readable thrillers of recent years.
Ceinwenn and I are starting reading this, so I've started this thread for random discussions about it. Everyone else is welcome to read/post thoughts/reviews etc, but I would ask that this not being a reading circle thread, use spoiler tags! (I will for example say, Spoiler in chapter X: '________' and that way anyone reading along will know whether they've covered that spoiler!

This will eventually disolve into an ordinary post-reading discussion thread, which is the plan.

Thanks, ramble and enjoy :)

Edited by Nollaig

My initial thoughts:

A BOOK THAT STARTS IT'S READING PAGES ON PAGE 1!!!

That's always a good sign.

So far I'm finding it to be beautifully written and it immediately throws you into the action! I'm guessing this is going to be similar to The Rose Labyrinth and Dan Brown's books, with different subject matter. Plus, I adore Shakespeare!

This book is also done with Acts, like a play. It's certainly looking promising!

Ahh that's good to hear! I know a good bit about a lot of his plays, but not nearly enough to know exact references!

Another note about this book: Sir Henry Lee reminds me so much of Lord Henry Wotton in The Picture Of Dorian Gray! Although I can imagine Lee being played by Ian McKellen in a movie adaption... he's exactly that kind of British chap!

What reminded me of Wotton however was this quote I just read regarding Lee's housekeepers:

"You don't imagine that I keep my own house do you?"

I began to laugh. "You live in another century, Sir Henry."

"So does everyone who can afford it," he said airily, finishing off the cognac.

:) :)

A bell rang in my head when I saw this thread title. I HAVE THIS! It was lurking on one of my many TBR shelves!

I've got my bookmark and I'm going to dive right on it. Dexter is officially on hold! :)

Oh DO!!! The more the merrier! I'm only 70 pages in, and I'm probably going to be going pretty slowly, you'll catch up in no time :)

I'm on paaaage... *checks* 146.

R.e page 98 (this isn't a spoiler) I really like how the author sets out a proper train of thought, I mean anyone whose read a book like this knows a deciding factor for it's credibility is the author's ability to make the uncovering of the mystery seem believeable - like the characters could actually work these things out. I like how, (on 98, as an example you'll have just read) that the two characters work through about three legit possibilities before working out what the clue actually is. Makes it much more realistic. :)

Did you add me on msn, Ceinwenn? I got no add :)

Theres actually really bad reviews for this book on Amazon - mostly criticizing the lack of character development. There isn't much development, but at least they have consistent personalities - the heroine is a douche and her bodyguard sidekick is a Bond style mysterious agent guy with 'connections'. As I said to Ceinwenn, it's an action movie in book format - I'm totally loving it.

Oh wow you're ahead of me! When did that happen?? I'll have to try do some reading tonight :D

Up to about page 220:

Anyone else think it'd be nice to have more, in-depth glimpses into Shakespeares time? The book started with a short one - I thought there would have been more than just one additional one by now :lol:

I remember picking this up in WHSmiths a while back and then putting it back down as for some reason I was thinking it was a bit of a 'conspiracy theory' book. Now I'm wondering if I got it mixed up with something else (that's what you get for lazily viewing books with 2 small children in tow!:lol:). I do actually like conspiracy theory books, but I had a bit of an overload last year.

So in short (finally!) I think I'll give this a try.

Conspiracy Theory books - what a brilliant name!

It is very much that sort of thing, it's only the third I've read, (I'm including Dan Brown's as one unit coz they're basically the same :lol:) but I *love* these books! I want loads more - next on the list is The Reincarnationist!

Ah so I was right when I read the synopsis then!

Will give it a go as it did look good at the time, and still sounds well worth a read now.

I can't take the credit for calling them that, a friend of mine does and I picked it up from her. Does seem quite fitting though - and :) at Dan Brown's books being one unit!:D

Have you read The Medici Secret at all? I do love these type of books, but I found The Medici Secret to be a total slog to be honest - and not a good one at that.:lol: The conclusion was obvious from about half way through the book, but then carried on dragging through until it's obvious conclusion.:D I've got another along that line on my TBR pile - The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud by Julia Navarro.