Two Women - Martina Cole

leah86

Blurb on back of book..

Danger and violence have always been part of Sue Dalston's East End upbringing. Unloved by her mother,abused by her father,and brutilized throughout her entire marriage,she smashes her husband's skull with a claw hammer in a final act of desperation. All that keeps her sane is knowing that her four children are safe from harm. When she is celled up with murderess Matilda Enderby,their fates become inextricably linked. And no one-least of all Sue-could have predicted the consequences..

I must say that I did enjoy this book,i found myself anxious to pick it up and reluctant to put it down,which i find is always a good sign. It's quite violent in parts,but then with a Martina Cole novel,you know what you're getting. The book begins as Susan Dalston is being led in to her cell with newly accquired cellmate Matilda Enderby,after that it flashes back to 1960,with susan being a young girl. The reader quickly gets an insight in to just how horrific Susan and her sister Debbie's life really is. Non-stop violence and abuse,which sets the theme for the rest of the book. The book moves chronologicaly through Susan's life,her marriage to her violent criminal husband and the abuse herself and her kids recieve taking up a good chunk of the book. Most of the characters seem unfazed by the amount of violence and abuse that happen all around them in their daily lives and I found that slightly unbelievable,but maybe that's a matter of opinion. Stuff like this happens every day unfourtunately and maybe being exposed to it constantly makes you hardened to it. As I've mentioned before I do feel that the author is over excessive in her descriptions of violence and abuse,I feel it's more of a shock factor, but again matter of opinion. Other people may think this is necessary to the story. Overall I did enjoy thisw book and would recommend it. 8/10

This was my first review everyone,hope it was ok.:lol: Has anyone else read this book or any other Martina Cole books?