What is Contemporary Fiction?

baggiesfan

We haven't actually attempted to classify books.. :lol: We did the main ones, then realised that there was a large selection of books that didn't particularly fit into them, so this was the simplest way to do it.

It's actually one of the reasons that I didn't split books into categories until fairly recently, as they can be hard to classify properly. However, a lot of people seemed to want it, so we did the best we could. :D

I'd assumed it was everything that didn't fit into any of the other categories! I would expect to find everything here that you'd find in the main fiction section of a book shop, so basically not crime, horror, sci-fi, classics or childrens which is pretty much what the other categories we have on the main board.

I noticed in Waterstone's today that they've also got a separate section for "Modern Women's Literature" (or something like that!) which is basically the romance/chick-lit type books, which we've got a separate sub-board in this section as well, so they've obviously been picking up ideas from this forum.

Yup, fiction that is written in the time in which its set. Jane Austen's novels could actually be classed as such because she set them at the time of writing...

I always thought of CF as being books written in recent (after WW2) years that was not classified by any other genre title.

I suppose that absolute definitions of genres don't interest me as such when I am chossing a book to read outside of my Crime & Thriller comfort zone!

Boy, you really do learn something new every day! :lol: