P G Wodehouse

sib

Having read this thread through, I realise that I have been missing alot...and now intend to put that right. I did read some Jeeves and Wooster when I was in my teens and I know I enjoyed it, but I can't remember what it was. And yes, the TV version was great. Thanks for the recommendations. I will try and get started sometime in the new year.

Thanks for the link Pilgrim. Very funny :blush:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I think it's high time we revive this thread on PG Wodehouse!

I've almost finished reading Thank You, Jeeves, my first Wodehouse, and I think it's brilliant. I'm already looking forward to getting my hands on more of his novels.

Arrow Books in the UK is re-releasing his books, which is great timing for new collectors such as myself. Personally, I quite like the new covers, but when I showed a woman at work yesterday, she said she would never pick up a book with that cover if she was browsing books. What do you all think of these covers?

I think they are probably a lot better than some of the older ones. They convey humour and the time period well. Most people know who P.G.Wodehouse was (well you'd think so anyway) so they would be buying them for the book, not the cover.

• 8 months later...

If you're anything like me, you can not help but LOVE his stories. The almost flawless Jeeves and his seeming unintelligent boss Bertram Wooster.:)

His tales of young love constantly going awry and Jeeves having to clear up Wooster's various male friends muck ups in life - all of his friends seem to live in a club called the Drones.

Jeeves helping Wooster escape the clutches of the awful Honoria Glossop and the fey Madeleine Basset.

A platoon of dreadful dowager aunts and dopey Uncles act as supporting cast - and bratty cousins.

These are silly funny stories that will have you giggling with glee! :)

I discovered Wodehouse last year and have already built up a collection of over 30 of his works, although obviously I haven't read them all yet. I'm aiming to get through at least 1 every 2 months this year.

Needless to say, I think he's pretty terrific. The stories are a little formulaic, but so much fun to read. :)

I've mostly been buying the new editions that are being released by Arrow Books.

• 5 weeks later...

Great news, Suzanna! I'm aiming to read one Wodehouse every couple of months this year, and I think I'm due for one shortly! I'll probably go with The Inimitable Jeeves.

I've read a few of the Jeeves books as well and they were alright. I think the humour in those books is a bit too deadpan for me to get it everytime, I have to be in a really special mood to be able to enjoy them fully. I tried reading a non-Jeeves-related book by his but didn't enjoy it at all. Maybe because I'd never known Wodehouse to write other than Jeeves books.

Now, what I wanted to ask is that is The Code of the Woosters a normal Jeeves book? It's in the Rory Book List and I'd like to read it at some point, but I haven't managed to track down a copy yet. I've seen the cover or the blurb and I don't know, somehow I got the impression that it wasn't the regular stuff? I might be wrong though.