• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
Bee.

City of..series by Cassandra Clare

Ok, my first proper thread on here. I did do a search for this author and series before starting this post as the 3rd and final book in the series is released in the US next month and im super excited to see what happens!

this is the authors website http://cassandraclare.com/cms/home for more info on the series.

I for one loved the first two books and really cant wait to see how they conclude. anyone else read these?

I've read them and their pretty cool looking forward to the next one but 4 month gap is just annoying. Thanks for posting this on here otherwise I wouldnt have known when the next book was coming out.

I've thought about getting this series, but I'm still not sure if I will.

do you think you could shed some light on what it's about for me? I want to make sure I will like it before I buy it.

currently reading the third ad apparently their is going to be a fourth.

Really liked it but i'm getting fed up having read them one after the other, should have stuck something else in between i think!

I have read the first three, and enjoyed them, got a little obvious towards the end of the third though

I got into the series after all the books were out so no wait. I really enjoyed it, though the 'if clary and jace are related' seemed to just drag on longer than it needed to. 

I loved Simon and Magnus! Glad they got their own short story series.

The Infernal Devices was more enjoyable for me (weird cause i don't like historical, i think one of reason was there was no clary/ jace drama)

The new series, Dark Artifacts or something like that, is really good so far. i love the Blackthorn family

I recently picked up the boxset of these books in The Works - couldn't resist the bargain price.  I'm not 100% convinced it's my kind of thing but I've been saying for ages I wanted to try and broaden my horizons and read something out of my comfort zone so it seemed like too good an offer to pass up.  I've read a few reviews online and from what I've read most people seem to love them.... I'm probably a tad (read a lot) older than the age group it's marketed for but what the hell.  I'm willing to give them a go.

I've read the first three books in this series (it's called The Mortal Instruments). I quite liked the first three books, but this genre isn't my favourite (I much prefer high fantasy over urban fantasy / paranormal), so I'm only reading one every once in a while (that, and I get author / series burnout quickly). I do plan on reading the rest of the series as well as The Infernal Devices and The Dark Artifices (at least, as long as I keep enjoying the books).

I hope you enjoy the books, Autumn :).