City of..series by Cassandra Clare

Bee.

Ok, my first proper thread on here. I did do a search for this author and series before starting this post as the 3rd and final book in the series is released in the US next month and im super excited to see what happens!

this is the authors website http://cassandraclare.com/cms/home for more info on the series.

I for one loved the first two books and really cant wait to see how they conclude. anyone else read these?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...

I got into the series after all the books were out so no wait. I really enjoyed it, though the 'if clary and jace are related' seemed to just drag on longer than it needed to. 

I loved Simon and Magnus! Glad they got their own short story series.

The Infernal Devices was more enjoyable for me (weird cause i don't like historical, i think one of reason was there was no clary/ jace drama)

The new series, Dark Artifacts or something like that, is really good so far. i love the Blackthorn family

I recently picked up the boxset of these books in The Works - couldn't resist the bargain price.  I'm not 100% convinced it's my kind of thing but I've been saying for ages I wanted to try and broaden my horizons and read something out of my comfort zone so it seemed like too good an offer to pass up.  I've read a few reviews online and from what I've read most people seem to love them.... I'm probably a tad (read a lot) older than the age group it's marketed for but what the hell.  I'm willing to give them a go.

I've read the first three books in this series (it's called The Mortal Instruments). I quite liked the first three books, but this genre isn't my favourite (I much prefer high fantasy over urban fantasy / paranormal), so I'm only reading one every once in a while (that, and I get author / series burnout quickly). I do plan on reading the rest of the series as well as The Infernal Devices and The Dark Artifices (at least, as long as I keep enjoying the books).

I hope you enjoy the books, Autumn :).

• 3 years later...

I've just started this series having been given the whole set of pre-read books.  Even after a few pages I think I'm going to like it!

is anyone else out there reading the series?

Age is no barrier to "YA" series - I've recently read good things from an 80+year old who enjoyed his "young folks" reading! :)

A good story is a good story so I'm cracking on ... I hope one or two of you will join me.

Happy Christmas, Happy :readingtwo:, and a Healthy New Year to All!

Hello Booknutt, good to 'see' you. :)

Earlier in the year I carried out a thoroughly immersive reading through the Mortal Instruments (City of....) universe. I started with her Infernal Devices trilogy (set in Victorian London), then onto the six Mortal Instruments books, and the later Dark Artifices trilogy. From there I danced through three extensive short story collections; that I had managed to get as complete collections; Ghosts of The Shadow Market, The Bane Chronicles and Tales From The Shadowhunter Academy.

It was pleasant to lose myself in them. The character development for the central characters is good, and Cassandra Clare's paints interesting worlds, and the scenes therein. I do agree that age is no barrier, I have enjoyed a lot of YA fiction over the years. 

I really look forward to reading what you think of them when you have read them. Merry Christmas Booknutt! :xmassmile:

I've read the first 3 Mortal Instruments books and enjoyed them, I also have the Infernal Devices and Dark Artifices trilogies to read.  She's started a new trilogy, the first book is Chains of Gold, I'm waiting for the paperback though as the books are so big!  Glad you enjoy them.

• 2 months later...

I've been reading this series since the start of February - I bought the full 6 book set. I've read the first 5 so far and I'm really enjoying them - such good action-packed fun, and I love the characters, especially Simon. I'm starting the last book tomorrow, then I might look into getting one of her other series to read later in the year.