The Sea by John Banville

Janet

This is one of those books that I feel I ought to read because it's raved about modern fiction.

But every time I think about the praise it receives, about the beautiful prose and so on, I just instinctively feel it will be long and tedious and drag and not have a plot I'd grab hold of.

Your review just reinforces my prejudice.

Ahhh, well, I loved The Sea, granted the first time I read it, I missed some of the time shifts, and markers. However with careful reading I managed to keep the time lines straight and it just fell into place with the second reading a few months later. A very fulfilling and satisfying story to me.

I found it quite different to Book of Evidence, Freddie's saga. :) Kylie, if you enjoyed BoE, please, please read Ghost and Athena, they are a continuation of Freddie's story. I kind of wish Banville would continue with Freddie. :)

Kylie, if you enjoyed BoE, please, please read Ghost and Athena, they are a continuation of Freddie's story. I kind of wish Banville would continue with Freddie. :)

Thanks, Pontalba. I have Athena already but need to track down Ghost. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Phew, glad I'm not the only one who didn't care for this. I heard the author being interviewed on NPR (National Public Radio in the U.S. ... the only stations without constant ads) and he was fascinating (and funny) and the book sounded wonderful, so I got it (luckily, from my library) but couldn't get beyond 50 pages or so. I tried, I really tried, then reckoned I just didn't connect with this particular author.

Pity ... because the writing was lovely; it just didn't have anything I could grab hold of.

From the posts I've seen in various forums, readers either love or hate The Sea. It wasn't till my second reading that all the the time lines finally clicked. But when they did, it was magic [for me :)]