A couple of questions

How much care do you take to ensure that spelling, grammar and punctuation are correct when writing, particularly posting on this forum?

Does reading a lot necessarily make you better at writing correctly?

I always make sure I use proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation on the forum, and in all my writing, because I believe that it makes things easier to read. Reading a post or an email that is fraught with errors actually hurts my eyes! :lol:

But no, I don't think that being a reader necessarily makes one a good writer.

Personally it depends on my mood at the time. Sometimes I will go out of my way to ensure that my spelling and grammar is correct however at other times I might not be bothered. Some ppl can definately go way over the top though. I know my girlfriend for instance is absolutely nuts with it. She proof reads msn messages before clicking send.

As far as whether reading makes you a better writer I would say that it does. Not as much as writing though. It is definately a case of the more you write the better you become.

I'm a bit more mindful on this forum than I am when jotting other quick notes, etc to people. I'm less careful on my profile when writing back and forth with people.. I'd say my grammar remains the same, but I tend to pay less attention to capitalization. It's a bad habit I've developed over years of using AIM and other instant messenging systems where capitalization matters less. But my grammer and punctuation tend to stay the same no matter where I'm writing. :lol:

I think that maybe reading doesn't necessarily directly make a change into how I write, but I think it does influence it a bit, subconsciously. Much of what I studied and practiced in school while studying grammar, as far as the grammar "rules," has left me. I may still write correctly most of the time, but it's not because I can still recite the rules that make the sentences correct -- it is probably more due to all the practice we did while in school. I think reading helps me subconsciously remember the rules and continue my "practice" in a way.

I do try to make sure that my spelling, grammar and punctuation are all in order.

I think reading a lot can help, but not all writers are gramatically correct, especially when the flow of a sentence can be impaired by being too precise.

I always think of the preposition statement attributed to Churchill,

'This is the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.'

The sentence may be technically correct, but boy does it read in a clumsy way.

How much care do you take to ensure that spelling, grammar and punctuation are correct when writing, particularly posting on this forum?

Does reading a lot necessarily make you better at writing correctly?

My spelling, punctuation and grammar are reasonably good anyway, without me having to think too much about them when I'm writing/typing. I do find 'txt spk' pretty hard to follow. I do use some abbreviations but tend to keep them to a minimum and normally for the right forums. I don't use any on here.

I don't think reading a lot makes me better at writing correctly, as I would still know how to write correctly even if I didn't pick a book up to read for a long time. I can't say whether it helps others or not though.

I think reading a lot can help, but not all writers are gramatically correct, especially when the flow of a sentence can be impaired by being too precise.

I always think of the preposition statement attributed to Churchill,

'This is the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.'

The sentence may be technically correct, but boy does it read in a clumsy way.

I've read a lot of books where the grammar has been shocking and littered with spelling mistakes. Makes you wonder if the proof readers are doing their job correctly.

I'm very fussy about using correct spelling and grammar. I'm too lazy to look things up, but if I'm unsure I'll put (sp?) or (gmr?) next to something.

Really, they teach everybody how to write correctly throughout at least 14 years of school. Surely it should be like second nature by then? The general standard of writing/reading/use of English language, in Ireland at least, is atrocious.

As for what I read influencing what I write, it does so very much. I love old classics, and have a tendancy to pick up certain phrases. I always say, 'Shall I?' rather than 'Will I?' because it's actually more grammatically correct, asking; 'Will I?' inplies the subject of your question knows the future, etc.

Also, older literature tends to be littered with wonderful fancy words, and I tend to pick them up too simply because I like it to be in my nature to use overly-adequate words, as I like writing.

Edited by Nollaig

I'm a PA and went to College to train as a Legal Secretary, so my presentation i.e. spelling, grammer, punctuation, is essential to my job. Sometimes when I'm rushing to type though on the forum, I mis-judge my shift key (I'm a touch typist) and end up missing a capital letter when it's needed! But it does bother me in books or magazines when the spelling and grammer isn't correct and I'm constantly changing round my work colleagues' documents etc ha ha

I'm very fussy about using correct spelling and grammar. .

I agree with Roxi, the whole bit really, but this is particular. I love spell check and reading the dictionary, and I can't stand incorrect grammar. Of course, I'm not saying I'm perfect myself, but I do make an effort.

Like Nessicle, I mainly touch type (if that means what I think it does, using all ten fingers and looking at the screen while you type instead of the keypad), and especially now that I have the new computer I keep missing the Shift-button, or I hit - instead of .. Simply because the keys are in slightly different position in relation to each other, the spacing is different.

I only really look at the keys if I'm suddenly switching languages, somehow my fingers adapt to a language and a different one is difficult to type until I get used to that one again. Weird, I know!

Like Nessicle, I mainly touch type (if that means what I think it does, using all ten fingers and looking at the screen while you type instead of the keypad), and especially now that I have the new computer I keep missing the Shift-button, or I hit - instead of .. Simply because the keys are in slightly different position in relation to each other, the spacing is different.

That's right ii!

I find if I'm rushing I tend to miss a key unintentionally but then at work I do proof-read everything anyway but sometimes don't have time if I'm writing an email or posting on the forum.

I find if I'm rushing I tend to miss a key unintentionally but then at work I do proof-read everything anyway but sometimes don't have time if I'm writing an email or posting on the forum.

Exactly. But, mistakes happen, especially when typing in a hurry. I do often go back on my own posts and fix the typos I find. *laughs*

What I don't get is why don't more people use spell check? It's the easiest way of not looking like an idiot. Of course it's not fool-proof, as I am painfully aware! (I once noticed just as I hit 'send' on the email going to classmates and the prof that I had mistakenly spelled 'as' with two 's's. It's a word, so the spell check didn't catch it!)

Another pet peeve of bad grammar of mine is when people mix "it's" and "its" or "they're", "their" and "there", for example.

What I don't get is why don't more people use spell check? It's the easiest way of not looking like an idiot. Of course it's not fool-proof, as I am painfully aware! (I once noticed just as I hit 'send' on the email going to classmates and the prof that I had mistakenly spelled 'as' with two 's's. It's a word, so the spell check didn't catch it!)

There's also another issue with the spell checker - do I want the American or British spelling? Most spell checkers are based on an American dictionary - at least by default - and I always choose to correct them afterwards with the British spelling.

I always try to use the correct spelling (English for me;)) and grammar in every piece of writing, whether it's forum posts, letters, emails or even texts. I personally think it's easier to read if the spelling and grammar are correct.

I think there's a way to change it, usually. I prefer the American spellings in most things, although I do find that my reading etc. affects my spelling. If I've read something, for example for school, with the English spelling (word 'labor' making an appearance often, with the spelling 'labour'), I might use that sort of unconsciously. Then I look at the text thinking "why does that look wrong?" but I can't always tell 'cause 'labour' is also correct.

But really, are there really that many differences?

But Roxi, that's just having an accent, really. It won't affect the spelling. (And if you really want to get down that road, I could go on and on about how some people pronounce 'lieutenant'...)

Yes, well, I still think that if you're informed enough to know they're spelled differently in the UK and in the US, you're capable of just skipping them when the spell check points them out. The idea of it is to get out the typos, so you'd still benefit from having it point out that you only have one t in little and you accidentally spelled apologise with two p's. I have no problem with people spelling things differently, it's the complete lack of any spelling that bugs me.

You'd be surprised ... color/colour, humor/humour, tumor/tumour, (basically words that end in -or or -our), then meter/metre, center/centre, theater/theatre (basically words that end in -er or -re), gray/grey are the first ones of the top of my head.

I've just remembered catalog/catalogue, program/programme, honor/honour as well.

Most spell checks let you choose which language you want it set in. Do firefox users use the spell checker add-on? I find it very useful for forums etc

I use the Google tool-bar one.

Yes, well, I still think that if you're informed enough to know they're spelled differently in the UK and in the US, you're capable of just skipping them when the spell check points them out. The idea of it is to get out the typos, so you'd still benefit from having it point out that you only have one t in little and you accidentally spelled apologise with two p's. I have no problem with people spelling things differently, it's the complete lack of any spelling that bugs me.

You're right. My main problem is text speak, which I find incredibly hard to read, but as long as someone attempts to write properly, I don't actually mind spelling or grammar mistakes.

I do also think that reading helps improve the writing skills of most people. I think it's like osmosis, and over time, you gradually notice the improvement in your own writing, or the writing of someone else, if reading books is part of yours or their life. At the very least, I think it helps maintain the level of technical competence you have as a writer.

You're right. My main problem is text speak, which I find incredibly hard to read, but as long as someone attempts to write properly, I don't actually mind spelling or grammar mistakes.

I do. I know, it's snobbish, but I do mind it. Especially grammar, as spelling mistakes are sometimes just typos. I allow for the error, we all have those, but there's no excuse for bad spelling or grammar, no matter how hard you try, if you're past 10 years of age. But that's just me.

I do also think that reading helps improve the writing skills of most people. I think it's like osmosis, and over time, you gradually notice the improvement in your own writing, or the writing of someone else, if reading books is part of yours or their life. At the very least, I think it helps maintain the level of technical competence you have as a writer.

I'm not sure if I agree to this. Reading helps, yes, a bit. But it's not going to 'save' you unless you make an effort. I've seen a lot of active readers making really bad mistakes.