Recommendations Challenge - Books Allocated

Kell

OK, here are the books everyone will be reading (pulled from a hat by Dale):

Kell will read The Rabbit Factory by Marshall Karp (nominated by LouiseOg)

Jo-Bridge will read Death at la Fenice by Donna Leon (nominated by Chimera)

Chimera will read The Loop by Nicholas Evans (nominated by Ceinwenn)

LouiseOg will read The Hacienda by Lisa St Aubin Du Teran (nominated by Jo-Bridge)

Lovesreading will read A Certain Slant Of Light by Laura Whitcomb (nominated by Roxi)

Roxi will read A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg (nominated by Lovesreading)

Ceinwenn will read Matthew Flinders' Cat by Bryce Courtenay (nominated by Purple Poppy)

Lexipiper will read Bringing Down the House: How Six Students Took Vegas for Millions by Ben Mezrich (nominated by Kell)

Purple Poppy will read See Jane Die by Erica Spindler (nominated by Lexiepiper)

I figure if we aim to read them by the end of March, that gives us a couple of weeks to get hold of them and a whole month to read.

Once you've read them, let everyone know what you thought of the book you ended up reading (post it here, but you can also post a review in the appropriate forum area if you like).

Note: If it turns out you've already read the book you've been allocated, you can ask the person who nominated it to recommend another book to you instead.

Edited by Kell

Oh, thanks Kell! This looks great! I'm excited about my allocated book which apparently is by the author of the Horse whisperer... I hadn't read that but loved the film!

Jo-Bridge, you said one of your favourite authors is Donna Leon though, didn't you? :blush: I guess I'll have to think of something else for you then...

She might not have read that one yet... Hopefully not, and at least someone will be getting one of their favourite authors. :blush: Totally the luck of the draw - LOL!

She might not have read that one yet... Hopefully not, and at least someone will be getting one of their favourite authors. ;) Totally the luck of the draw - LOL!

Well as far as I know Donna Leon has only written that one series of crime novels set in Venice (or at least it's her 'masterpiece') and Death at la Fenice is the first... so the chances are slim! *laughs*

Trust the luck of the draw to give my book to the person who's already read it (which I really dont think is the case of many on here)... :blush:

Chimera, I'm glad you're ok with your allocated book - I was so worried that it wouldn't be well recieved. It's pretty mainstream, but I loved it when I read it! If we do this again, I already have my next book picked out! :blush:;)

Chimera, I'm glad you're ok with your allocated book - I was so worried that it wouldn't be well recieved. It's pretty mainstream, but I loved it when I read it! If we do this again, I already have my next book picked out! :blush:;)

Well it looks good! Probably not something I'd have chosen on my own but a good way of branching out :) Which is the aim of this challenge isn't it?

Maybe you can use your new idea for the big book world day swap?

Nope. The whole point to challenges like this one is to get people to diversify their reading experiences, so go for it girl!

It's actually the one you recommeded I'm going buying too! :blush:

But that one and the one I got are the two I liked most, so I was happy to get either, I was going to buy the other anyway XD

Well as far as I know Donna Leon has only written that one series of crime novels set in Venice (or at least it's her 'masterpiece') and Death at la Fenice is the first... so the chances are slim! *laughs*

Trust the luck of the draw to give my book to the person who's already read it (which I really dont think is the case of many on here)... :)

Hi Chimera! Sorry for the delay in replying! I have read it yeah- Great book, good recommendation!! What othr book would you recommend?

Hi Chimera! Sorry for the delay in replying! I have read it yeah- Great book, good recommendation!! What othr book would you recommend?

Sorry, only just saw your reply... In the other thread you said one of your favourite genres was biographies didn't you?

Then I'd recomend Anne Frank Remembered by Miep Gies & Alison Leslie Gold, the autobiography (shadow written) of Miep Gies, the woman who helped Anne Frank's family hide during the war. A great read!

You'll find my review of it here.

I hope you'll enjoy it!

• 1 month later...

Just finished 'See Jane Die' and I loved it. Once I got into it I couldn't put it down :friends0: I guessed that it was either one of the two culprits, but never thought it would be both! The descriptions of the boat accident and subsequent dream passages are quite graphic, but that added to it. I shall now look for more of Erica Spinler's work. I think she's written about twenty novels. Thanks for the recommendation. A great choice, and I would also advocate reading it :hug: