Astronomy Pictures

Raven

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anybody going out with their binoculars or telescopes on 24rd Feb or 27th Feb to see the comet Lulin, which will be located beneath Leo?

It was mentioned on Sky at night with Patrick Moore the other day when he was also talking about the aurora borealis in Norway, but here is a link to more info on Lulin:

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/090206-ns-comet-lulin.html

Anybody going out with their binoculars or telescopes on 24rd Feb or 27th Feb to see the comet Lulin, which will be located beneath Leo?

It was mentioned on Sky at night with Patrick Moore the other day when he was also talking about the aurora borealis in Norway, but here is a link to more info on Lulin:

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/090206-ns-comet-lulin.html

I'd like to, but it is difficult for me to get to somewhere that isn't affected by street lighting.

I'd like to, but it is difficult for me to get to somewhere that isn't affected by street lighting.

Yes, that is sadly a big problem for us these days. People can't even appreciate the stars properly because of the artificial night lighting. :)

I find parks are better than nowhere, you not got a large park nearby?

• 1 month later...

Oo wow Raven - amazing pic, definitely not as dull as its name suggests.

Does everybody know about STELLARIUM?

Its like google earth in that you can search the night sky all over the world and get the images of your destination straight away. It shows you which constellations you will be able to see now as well as nebullae and the moon etc. It has layers you can add and subtract for people not hot on all the positions of the them all. I downloaded it last night, its free, I saw it advertised on the tv as one of the top 5 free software downloads atm. http://www.stellarium.org/

• 3 months later...

I was looking out at the sky last night, something i absolutely love to do, it's so breathtakingly beautiful when you just stop and really think about everything, your own standing in such an amazing story, how small you really are in the context of the universe, it's amazing.

The moon was so beautiful, and really haunting as the clouds rolled over it, and i saw the brightest star i've ever seen and just sat and watched for a few hours. It could have been Jupiter but i am unsure as someone said you can see it around this time. It was awesome anyways.

I have been lucky enough to have seen a shooting star a few years ago, i was so happy after i seen it :lol: