Raven

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm getting used to it, to be honest.

The only thing I've seen in recent years are a couple of lunar eclipses. Comets, meteor shows et al, don't get a look in with our weather.

Having said all that, I can see the false hope of blue sky outside my window . . .

• 4 months later...

Very cool YouTube film!

Did anyone see any meteors last weekend, by the way? I saw several in a 15 minutes period, would have been a lot better if it had been warmer and I had been outside!

That is great Raven :lol: Thanks for posting it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, why didn't I see this thread before? I LOVE astronomy, even went so far as to take one course in university that was called "the Universe", basically an astronomy class for people from other science fields (I study medical biology myself). I loved those classes. Too bad I basically suck at math and physics, so it takes me a lot to get it all done. :D

But still, I love it, and I might have even gone for a study in astronomy and astrophysics if I would have been better at math and physics.

But that site, the first post if this thread? I check it almost every day for the new pic. Have for years. Many of my desktop wallpapers come from it too.

The sky's so pretty. :roll:

(And even my screen name comes from my love for astronomy, Universe was taken on most forums etc so.. )

• 4 weeks later...

That's a great picture, I took an interest in Astronomy just before Christmas and bought a 5" dobsonian telescope, but I'm waiting for the weather to warm up before I delve more into the hobby as standing out in the dark as a learner when its -4 is not my idea of fun. This winter is so cold! :censored:

I'm hoping for a very warm summer with plenty of sticky nights where I cant sleep! ;)

I've done a bit of research into it though and have had quite a few very clear viewings of the moon. But it needs to be collimated properly before I start spending hours outside with it looking for planets, galaxies and nebula, which is not a big job only takes a few minutes with the right equipment.

I may be wrong about this, but I believe this is the best time of year to go looking at the stars; partly because of the longer nights, but mainly because the colder nights mean clearer skies.

I don't think there are any best times of the year for astronomy, as long as you have clear skies it doesn't matter what time of year it is or what the climate is like, otherwise they would never see anything in places like Spain or Portugal where it's always warm.

There are certain stars that are only visible at certain times of the year, but there are billion of others to keep you amused. Unless you have a huge telescope individual stars are not the most interesting things to look at anyway.

You can see the andromeda galaxy for example with the naked eye, so even a smallish telescope, or even binoculars will make it quite impressive. You can also see the rings of saturn with a pretty modest telescope, although I believe it is coming up to a phase where the rings will be at an angle where they will seem invisible from earth.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion from what I have read, I am by no means an authority in Astronomy and stand to be corrected.

;)