Astronomy Pictures

Raven

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I take it you're drawn to Astronomy then, Raven?

Oh hell yes. If you have ever wondered who the nerd was who sits there watching shuttle missions on NASA TV, he be me.

I would like to learn more on astronomy one day.

Watching The Sky at Night each month is a very good starting point. Try and catch the edition they put out on BBC Four, as it is usually longer and more informative.

And also, Patrick Moore is a national institution!

Watching The Sky at Night each month is a very good starting point. Try and catch the edition they put out on BBC Four, as it is usually longer and more informative.

And also, Patrick Moore is a national institution!

I'll look out for it, thank you. :blush:

I love looking at space and the stars, it's so beautiful and just kind of puts into perspective how absolutely gigantic and amazing the universe is and how small we are in comparison. It's very frightening yet fantastic at the same time, thinking about all the possibilities and impossibilities of what lies beyond.

Whatever it is, it's pretty, Poppy!

I love the Orion's Belt picture, Raven.. sooo pretty!

Moving east allowed me the chance to see Orion's Belt, and I saw it in the sky for the first time a couple of months ago while on an evening cruise in the Arabian Sea. I look for it whenever I'm away from the city here now.

Poppy, I knew I knew it! - This is the description from http://www.omniscopic.com/blog/labels/favorite.html ;This is a photo from the Hubble Space Telescope of the Orion Nebula (Messier 42). The Orion Nebula is an example of a stellar nursery where new stars are being born. Observations of the nebula have revealed approximately 700 stars in various stages of formation.

The person describing it goes into some cool stuff on the site! :blush:

Do you mean that it doesn't look like that in reality?

Yes; astronomers quite often change the colour balance of pictures to highlight detail that would otherwise be invisible, along the way they end up making pictures that are visually quite stunning - like the above.

There is a bigger version of the above picture here, but it doesn't say whether it is false colour or not, I'll do some more digging!

ETA:

I think it looks more like this to the naked eye (this image has been rotated 90

Edited by Raven