Yann Martel - Life of Pi

Kell

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

Despite it staring down at me from my shelf, I don't actually have it on my TBR list. I bought it years ago, and my friend read it before me, and asked if I'd read it because she wanted to ask someone what it was all about, as she'd struggled to get to grips with it. Needless to say, this put me off slightly, and haven't been inclined to start it since then.

Maybe one day ...

• 4 weeks later...
I started this years ago on a recommendation but couldn't really get into it - I thought perhaps because I was a bit younger. I'm going to give it another go.

I'm glad that I am not the only one who couldn't get in to it Roxi. I gave up a little way in to the book as I really wasn't enjoying it. It is one of the very few books that I have started and not finished. Maybe give it another go at some point in the future.

This is waiting to be read, as a couple of friends gave it to me when I was leaving India.. It didn't really sound like my thing from the blurb, so having a bit of trouble getting motivated to start it. Maybe some day soon... :)

I loved this book. Even now, I still talk about it with my friends 4 years after I read it! Well worth persevering with if you've struggled in the past.

As I wrote on that thread, the introductory section was dry and rubbish. The postscripty section was rubbish. The "twist" was rubbish. The oh-so-clever religious allegory stuff was rubbish.

The only good stuff was the story of the boy on a boat with a tiger, which was a nice and fun bit of Gripping Adventure Yarn which, stand-alone, I might have liked. But even that was kind of ruined by the ending.

As I wrote on that thread, the introductory section was dry and rubbish. The postscripty section was rubbish. The "twist" was rubbish. The oh-so-clever religious allegory stuff was rubbish.

The only good stuff was the story of the boy on a boat with a tiger, which was a nice and fun bit of Gripping Adventure Yarn which, stand-alone, I might have liked. But even that was kind of ruined by the ending.

Not a fan, then.

Your review has made me chuckle (in a good way), and I like the tag about Reading. I played in a place called The Purple Turtle there some years ago (actually, maybe...oh my God, maybe 16 years ago!).

I would concur with your observation, my friend.

Have a good day. :)

It did start off a bit slow, and his understanding of religion was rather illogical, but as a whole I enjoyed it! It made me want to go to the zoo :)

The ending reminded me a bit of Princess Bride, and I just took it as a kind of joke, 'believe what you want' idea. He had to somehow handle the inevitable mistrust of his story and being a creative and somewhat jaded kid it fit IMO.

It did start off a bit slow, and his understanding of religion was rather illogical, but as a whole I enjoyed it! It made me want to go to the zoo :irked:

The ending reminded me a bit of Princess Bride, and I just took it as a kind of joke, 'believe what you want' idea. He had to somehow handle the inevitable mistrust of his story and being a creative and somewhat jaded kid it fit IMO.

Hey there. I loved The Princess Bride. The film was made around where I live! How about that!:smile2:

Hey there. I loved The Princess Bride. The film was made around where I live! How about that!:smile2:

Really? One of my favorite movies of all time! And probably the best book to film adaptation ever. I heard they're going to make a Life of Pi movie as well...should be interesting if it's ever made.

I don't actually like The Princess Bride film that much :smile2: but I loved the book.

As for A Life of Pi I love how the ending makes you draw your own conclusions, so you can make it what you want really.

Really? One of my favorite movies of all time! And probably the best book to film adaptation ever. I heard they're going to make a Life of Pi movie as well...should be interesting if it's ever made.

Are they? I'd be interested to find out about that. I read Life Of Pi at quite an interesting point in my life. I believe it affects people in different ways depending on where one is in ones life, don't you think?

The Princess Bride has something for everyone though, eh?

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Classic.:smile2:

I don't actually like The Princess Bride film that much :smile2: but I loved the book.
Really? I know this isn't the Princess Bride thread, but I'd love to know what made you not like it!

I think if they focus on the fantasy side of the book more than trying to make it like Castaway it could be effective. *shrug*

Are they? I'd be interested to find out about that. I read Life Of Pi at quite an interesting point in my life. I believe it affects people in different ways depending on where one is in ones life, don't you think?

Oh absolutely! Maybe it's a bad thing but I know my opinion of books is influenced a great deal by not only where I am in my life but also by the other books I'm reading at the time (I usually read 3 or 4 at a time cause I get bored easily). I read Brave New World and 1984 at the same time and I still have a hard time remembering which is which :irked: After that I made a rule with myself that I'd only read different genres at the same time :)

I read Life Of Pi at around the same time as The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Nighttime. I swore blind on some occasions that I was reading The Curious Incident Of The Life Of Pi In The Dog's Time.:smile2::irked:

I don't know what it was actually. I think maybe because I loved the book and I'd heard that the film was great from so many people, so it didn't reach my expectations, I doubt the boyfriend complaining helped either