Yann Martel - Life of Pi

Kell

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Classic.:irked:

I agree with Lucy. I heard so many great things but the film didn't live up to the hype. The above line is one of the things that puzzles me. People always bring it up as a classic line of the movie, but what exactly is funny about it? I just don't get it. :smile2:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
My dad confused me when I read this book.

He said that the second story Pi tells is the right one and the whole thing's one big metaphor!

The book is "one big metaphor", yes, but I think it's up to the reader to decide which version of the story to believe. There is no right or wrong interpretation.

I just finished this book last week. I really got in to the second part but started to get a bit of a sinking feeling when it all started getting a bit surreal. I had been hoping for a straight story with a satisfying ending having just read a fair bit of Haruki Murakami (which NEVER has a conclusive ending). Even so, I really enjoyed Life of Pi and am glad I read it. I found an interesting analysis on the ending which contains spoilers at the red room . com

Unfortunately as this is my first post I can't post the link but if you google "Life of Pi Ending" it's the third listing.

I listen to this book on tape in the car I sdo not think iwould have read it but listening to it was good

Yes I've listened to it too ... I really enjoyed it, though I think it may have been abridged so there's probably a lot more in the book.

Was confused, delighted and horrified by it. It was great!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Oh how I love this book.I have to admit it did take me a while to get through the boat part of the book,but I got me thinking sooo many times.About life,and will,and hope,and religion and faith...God.My favourite part though is the one where learns about the Church,Christ,the ''pedestrian God'' part :smile2: it's so simple,and human like and so honest it made me laugh and want to cry at the same time.

And the ending,I think I've read it 2 times just to see whether I got it right.It is a fantastic ending,isn't it.And painful,which ever version you choose to believe.

Double posting, but I thought of how they're making a film based on this book, and I'm affraid it's not going to be good enough to do the book justice.

It's just a specific story and I'm affraid it's going to be either boring or just not...touching enough. Or at all.

Of course, I didn't think Cast Away (with Tom Hanks) could be very interesting, but I ended up loving it and rewatching it afterwards , so I could be wrong.

Dunno.

^^To tell you the truth, it took me a long time to read the book, when the shipwreck part started (I loved the first part), but I just wasn't in the mood for it at the moment. I wasn't in a reading mood at all actually. I didn't give up, and ended up loving it to the end. Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy it should you try to give it another go :lurker:

Bought this toward the end of last year and is reasonably high on my TBR list, very much looking forward to it :)

• 1 year later...

There didn't appear to be a seperate thread for this book, although that is possibly down to my search rather than there not actually being a thread!

From the sleeve notes;

After the tragic sinking of a cargo ship, a solitary lifeboat remains bobbing on the wild, blue pacific. The only survivors from the wreck are a 16 year old boy named Pi, a hyena, a zebra with a broken leg, a female orang-utan - and a 450 pound Royal Bengal tiger. The scene is set for one of the most extrondinary works of ficton in recent years.

Where to start!

I have been completely blown away by this book. It starts umpromisingly with a rather rambling first few chapters about Pi growing up in India, Zoos, Circuses and religion. My mother-in-law passed this on to me after she couldn't get past those first few pages.

After this, the story proper starts, as Pi's family decide to move to Canada. Pi's father runs a Zoo, so after selling most of the animals, they end up on a cargo ship with the last of these animals, which then sinks somewhere in the Pacific.

The rest of the book deals with Pi's time in the lifeboat with the tiger. I won't spoil anything by revealing any more than that!

I should have been throwing this book across the room because of it's unbeleivable story-line. I didn't because Yann Martel MADE me believe it. It should be an horrific tale of starvation, thirst and hopelessness. Instead, it's funny, poignant and full of hope. Yes, it's also tragic at the same time; you're never allowed to forget the pain of Pi's existance.

And then there is the ending. I'll say no more except to say I didn't see it coming!

Ian