Cross stitch

lexiepiper

If you're just starting out, get hold of a cross stitich magazine - they often have a free kit for a simple design attached to them as well as charts for other designs and ideas for projects inside. It's a cheap way of "testing the waters", as it were, and seeing if you like it.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have just finished a cross stitch. My favourite collection of cross stitches come from Michael Powell. This is the one I have just finished :)

Loving the colours Kate.

lexiepiper - looks like one mega job there, it will be beautiful when you have completed it though.

I would imagine that it's quite relaxing doing cross stitch?

I always found it very relaxing - almost meditative.

I've never tried it, I don't really even know how it's done :giggle: I must look into it.

It's quite easy once you get the hang of it. The basic cross stitch is just done in rows -

You do all the stiches one way: / / / / /

Then go back the other way doing the cross over stitch:

You can get very simple starter sets to try - I always suggest getting a cross stitch magazine with a free kit on the front to see if you enjoy it before forking out for any more stuff.

Janet - Get stitching!

Lilywhite - Yes, I started running short of time to do cross stitch too, which is why I ended up not doing it any more - reading took priority. Now, of course, Xander takes priority, but as I get limited reading time, it's going to be reduced even more now. But I can always do cross stitch while while I'm watching telly with Dale (obviously, I don't read when I'm doing that - LOL!), which would mean I'm not cutting into book time too much after all...

Loopyloo - I LOVE that cat pic! A bit advanced for me right now (I'm pretty much starting almost from scratch as it's been so long - LOL!). I think tiny projects will be the way to go for some time yet, till I get more time to myself again.

Nici - I hope you'll find a good one with a decent kit as a free kit. Let me know how you get on!

I finished the gold edging and started on one of the leaves at the bottom today...

Edited by Kell