Cross stitch

lexiepiper

I know a fair few of you here like to cross stitch, and I'm looking to get a cross stitch kit for my birthday as I love to do it, but have never done a bigger one before, so it's going to be a bit of an adventure! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew of cheap websites or shops to buy some nice kits from?

Here's the last one I did, I got this one for my birthday last year :lol: (it's not wonky in real life btw, it's just the weird camera angle :blush:)

eeyore.jpg

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your stitching looks great! I wouldn't worry about the size of the finished picture, just think "one stitch at a time and I will get there".

My advice to you, is pick something you love rather than what you think you're capable of, because you won't get bored and will enjoy watching the picture come to life and thus encourage you to stitch more and more of it.

Here are some of mine ... http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/61374478WxqPbC?vhost=home-and-garden if you're looking for some inspiration! :blush:

Your stitching looks great! I wouldn't worry about the size of the finished picture, just think "one stitch at a time and I will get there".

My advice to you, is pick something you love rather than what you think you're capable of, because you won't get bored and will enjoy watching the picture come to life and thus encourage you to stitch more and more of it.

Good advice there!

Here are some of mine ... http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/61374478WxqPbC?vhost=home-and-garden if you're looking for some inspiration! :blush:

Wow they're stunning, I love the fairy ones in particular (as I love fairies), do you remember where you got them?

I used to do a lot of cross-stitching, not so much now. In fact I can't remember when I last did any. I started off with small images similar to the one above and then moved on to bigger ones. Here are the two big ones I've done.

As a big fan of Winnie the Pooh and Friends I absolultely love this one. It's framed and is hanging on my wall above my computer desk.

WinnieCrossStitch.jpg

This one is much more detailed and harder and is still uncompleted. The cross stitch itself is done, but there is a lot of backstitching to do which emphasises the details on the roof, windows and flowers etc. I find this hard work especially as it's so detailed hence the reason why so far it remains uncompleted. I will finish it at some point though.

CottageCrossStitch.jpg

You are putting me in the mood to get some cross stitch out again (she says ignoring the ironing...lol) I went through a phase of doing little houses and sending them to people as house warming/moving cards. Sometimes these craft/stitch magazines come with a little kit attached. The mags can be a bit expensive though, unless you find something you really want to do. Start now and do some christmas cards!!

Check my albums in my profile page for couple of things I have done. Have done a lot of christmas cards in the past and my sis brings them out and attaches them to a ribbon as decoration.

Edited by Kell
Taken off italics to make it easier to read

i havent got any pictures of the ones i have done but i have two im nearly finished, just outlining on this one -> http://www.abcstitch.com/optioncart/image.php?image=http://www.abcstitch.com/images/s8/00-1941.jpg&id=674063&item=Gentle%20Wisdom%20(with%20charms)&price=9.99&itemtype=chart&cat=H00-1941&d1=Dimensions%20Charts%20and%20Charms&d2=&ret=www.abcstitch.com/subjects_php/subjects.php?page=2&all=yes&subject=native%20american?page=2&all=yes&subject=native%20american(pic from a site/shop, not mine) and half way through this one --> http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp;jsessionid=LJD01Z4LMRHWAP4SY5GVAFJ50LD3OUPU?CATID=cat2103&PRODID=prd13417&AID=10273743&PID=1262248&_requestid=497380

they are both at home i havent touched them in a year because of uni work but hope to very soon, its so relaxing,

I agree with GsdSheba - dont think of it as a big project just take one stitch at a time/ one colour at a time, it is great seeing the picture come together/ alive :lol: I had only done small pieces before starting my big one and my mum didnt think i was ready to start a big one but i was a stubborn fool and did it anyway, i keep meaning to buy that pc application which you can use to turn a photo or any picture you like into a crossstitch format, just have to go buy the threads and aida.:blush:

I've never done cross-stitch, but I used to do very intricate embroidery. For a time I did baby blankets which I would sell (each one took about 8 months for me to complete) at a local quilting shop. It got so that I had more orders than I could manage! Haven't picked up my needle & floss in a long time, though I do have 2 baby blankets that are started (1 is 1/2 finished & the other is only about 1/4 finished) which I would love to finish.

I haven't cross stitched in several years, but I've started hankering after doing some again now - if only I had the time! Maybe once Xander is a bit more settled I'll be able toi get back to doing some simple projects to gt back into the swing of things again...

I love the fairy ones in particular (as I love fairies), do you remember where you got them?

Yep, I got them from here ...

http://www.stitchdirect.co.uk/

Just type in "Mirabilia" and you'll see them there. I absolutely adore this designer.

There's also a forum on that website too, that should give you loads of inspiration (I moderate it :blush: )

Maybe once Xander is a bit more settled I'll be able toi get back to doing some simple projects to gt back into the swing of things again...

Maybe you could do a characater from one of his favourite books for his room Kell!

Well in school in year 7-9, when we had to textiles, I was always really bad at sewing at everything like that. Was one of my worst subjects, was incredibly please when we got to choose our options for year 10 and 11.

Well in school in year 7-9, when we had to textiles, I was always really bad at sewing at everything like that. Was one of my worst subjects, was incredibly please when we got to choose our options for year 10 and 11.

Oh, I'm RUBBISH at sewing, but I can cross stitch fine and dandy. :D

Ah, I seem to be a bit confused then. What is cross-stitching? I was under the impression it was just like sewing, not that I've looked it up or anything. :D