lexiepiper

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of my friends had a baby girl the other day, so I immediately had to start stitching a birth sampler for her. Of course, I couldn't just stitch for the new baby - her older brother will also be included to the left. The "girl" side reads "Sugar and spice and all things nice", and so the boy side isn't that horrid "slugs and snails and puppydog tails" I've changed it to "Ships and sails and exciting tales."

Here's how it's looking so far...

calumandlibbydoublebirt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It took a few days to stitch - I only really get stitching time in the evenings when Xan is in bed, but I also work several evenings each week, so my stitching time is reduced by that too. In terms of hours, I'd say it took me anout 6 hours. If I'd had a stitching day all to myself it would have easily been stitched in a day with long breaks for coffee and lunch. :)

• 1 month later...

Kell that sampler is gorgeous, I love it!

I am back at working on my Tiger Pool again now things are getting back to normal at my house, I am loving it so much and feel like racing through it but I'm just so tired tonight I know I would end up having to frog.

I am also making a bag for my mum at the moment. Not started it yet but bought the fabric today :D

• 4 weeks later...

401858159.jpg

Sorry the picture is so large I never have much luck with posting them

This is an Emma Bridgewater Design that my sister asked me to stitch for her (she collects EB china) so she can turn it into a cushion.

Edited by Easy Reader

Love the patriotic sampler! :)

I have only one more claddagh to stitch for my wedding invitations commission, but as she can't collect them till next week, I'm taking a couple of days off to stitch a charity quilt square as I am heartily sick of the sight of claddaghs - LOL! I'll stitch the last one this weekend and they'll all be done and dusted - hurrah! :)

The quilt square is actually one of my own designs - a scrolled square - and everyone in the charity stitching group will be stitching teh same design in whatever colours they fancy, so it will be interesting to see what everyone comes up wth in the end and to see the quilt when it's all put together. :)

• 4 years later...

Any cross stitchers still out there?

I've just bought a cross stitch kit, it's 8ins by 8ins and the lady in hobbycraft advised me to get an embroidery hoop a bit smaller thant the design. When I put the (rather stiff) fabric in the hoop however it left a nasty ring indentation so I'm worried about that now. Is it essential to have a hoop or frame or something, or can it be done without?

I've never used a hoop but I think I remember reading somewhere that you can turn your design face down and iron the back to get the crease from it out.

I'd like to get back to cross stitching, I found it really relaxing when I did it before.

What pattern did you get? I always look at the ones in Hobbycraft when I go with my sister but some of them look a bit complicated!

The reason a hoop is recommended for beginners is that it helps keep your tension even.  Don't worry about the crease - you can either iron it out as Hayley said, or you'll probably notice it drop out as you move it around the fabric as you work on different bits of the design and the fabric will gradually become softer.

I never bothered with a hoop as I actually found it got in my way rather than helping, and as long as you're not pulling the thread incredibly tightly, you probably won't notice much difference.  I found it easier without and it means you can put the needle down through the hole and bring it back up to the front in the next hole in a single movement, which I found much quicker, and the holding the fabric in different places as you work the design will also help soften the fabric and lose any creases that happen.

Without the hoop you might still get creases anyway, as you'll probably have to scrunch up the fabric in your hand to hold it to work on some stitches, or just folding your work to put it away between working on it.  It'll easily iron out if you need to - I've occasionally ironed my work around the design or with a towel over it so that it doesn't flatten the stitches, but to be honest, I've rarely had to do it, and if you're going to get it framed, it'll be stretched out anyway.

The other thing to remember is that you're beginning, you'll probably make mistakes but don't worry about them.  Easy to rectify with unpicking if you need to, or just note them down as a lesson learned for the next project, and you'll find the techniques that suit you best. I've haven't done any cross stitch for years, but I hope you enjoy it, and maybe you'll show us your project when you've finished. Good luck! :)

I recently started stitching again after quite a long break. I did stitch a wedding sampler for my best pal's wedding last November, and it was the first thing I'd stitched in a few years! I'm busy stitching a few bookmarks for a craft stall at the moment to ease myself back into it. :)