First editions and pricing books

Baz

I have aquired about 30 books, which were being stored for a publishing/editing company, they are all like new and mostly first editions, are they worth any thing, as i have them on ebay and want to make sure i have not priced them too low

TIA

Is there anything on the net to type the name of this book into, to see if its rare or worth something?

The book is "the furniture of our forefathers printed in 1901

Edited by Kell
Merged posts

Im also new to amazon and listed lots of books last night, can i ask, do people buy alot on amazon like ebay? or am i not likely to sell much?

People do buy from private sellers on Amazon because the prices set can be very competitive, but I imagine the situation is very different when it comes to antiquarian/collectable books. My own preference for buying collectable books is either on eBay or through AbeBooks. As a seller, the good thing about Amazon is that you're not charged a listing fee unless your item sells and that you're not charged for relisting an item (unlike on eBay). Amazon may charge you more but at least in the meantime you're not losing money on listing an item that may take a very long time to find a buyer.

(Apologies if you know this already.) When you're dealing with antiquarian/collectable books, it's a good idea to know how dealers usually describe their own books so you get a feel for how your own books compare. When collectors look for First Editions, they're usually also looking for ones from the first print run, which are hopefully signed by the author but not inscribed to anyone, i.e., a "1/1 Signed" copy of the book, and one that's Fine (F) or Near Fine (N/F). (Good book collector sites will have an explanation of the terms used to describe a book.)

The best advice, especially for special interest books, has already been given by Kell: the best way of valuing a book is have an expert do it for you.

• 1 month later...