Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Nessicle

I find him more attractive than Fiennes, so it's totally subjective.:lol: Anyway, what I don't get is why they never cast someone who matches the book description. He is supposed to look like (or be) a gypsy. And Heathcliff was supposed to be quite tall, Ed is pretty normal.

Well, the best thing we can do is to wait for the final result. I think the most important thing is to have a script faithful to the book and in the spirit of the book if you know what I mean. We'll see...

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I agree, and to be fair, I thought Chuck Bass was as annoying and icky as most of the characters thought, so he's not a bad actor. But would have preferred Michael Fassbender. Although I agree about the gypsy/tall thing.

I'm reading this at the moment and loving it, although I can't say I like any of the characters very much, least of all the spoilt, selfish, whinging little nincompoop, Linton!

Heathcliff can be quite funny at times in his cynical, uncaring way.

Speaking of his preference for nephew Hareton, over Linton his son he says, "I'll pit him against that paltry creature, unless it bestir itself briskly. We calculate it will scarcely last till it is eighteen. Oh, confound the vapid thing! He's absorbed in drying his feet, and never looks at her - Linton!"

(Has anyone seen the Wuthering Heights version with Tom Hardy and Charlotte Riley? Tom made a heart-stopping Heathcliff :lol: )

you know, since I read the story , the biography about the sisters and their brother, and mostly about their father, I have not felt the same about the girl's work. To know the horror of their true lives, the insanity and despair of it, to see each one's life ebb away and end because of the ugliness of the times and the unyielding behaviour of papa almost caused me to feel a break down coming to me from just being in their world for that week. ah me, it was terrible!

spoilt, selfish, whinging little nincompoop, Linton!

:lol: So, you dislike him, then?

This is one of my all-time favourite books. Glad to see you're enjoying it! I agree, none of the characters are particularly likeable, but they are all so vividly drawn. (Even Linton. :blush:)

I'm reading this at the moment and loving it, although I can't say I like any of the characters very much, least of all the spoilt, selfish, whinging little nincompoop, Linton!

Yeah, the book doesn't exactly has the reputation of likable characters. I couldn't stand Linton either. The only person I thought was truly likable was Hareton.

Heathcliff can be quite funny at times in his cynical, uncaring way.

You noticed that, too?:lol:

• 1 month later...
I read it a while back. I had the same problem - tiny font - but the writing is just gorgeous. Stick with it - it's a rip-roaring good story with characters you'll love or hate or love to hate.

I have to say I totally agree with your description!

I'd love to see Ioan Gruffydd ("Hornblower") in the Heathcliff role. He's done a very good tall dark and moody in the recent "Secret of Moonacre" DVD! :P

I've recently re-read W.H. after watching the latest TV version, which I thought was pretty good - but so much was left out! There really is no better option to actually reading a novel which a drama is based on, is there? Even near the ending - the "telly" Heathcliff was found self-shot lying on his bed. In the novel he died mysteriously - the Doctor was puzzed over what to put as cause of death. Surely allowing himself to die over love of Cathy, and his need to be with her, was much better as a drama?

Poor old Joseph - on film or in book - nobody can understand quarter of what he says! :blush:

(Has anyone seen the Wuthering Heights version with Tom Hardy and Charlotte Riley? Tom made a heart-stopping Heathcliff :lol: )

I watched this version last week and I really enjoyed it. Tom Hardy was brilliant.

I have never read Wuthering Heights and will be looking for it today while I'm in town. I'm really looking forward to reading it :lol:

I watched this version last week and I really enjoyed it. Tom Hardy was brilliant.

I have never read Wuthering Heights and will be looking for it today while I'm in town. I'm really looking forward to reading it :(

Oh I hope you enjoy it :lol: it's a superb little book :D

• 1 month later...

It's a fantastic book,I was lucky to have a special edition given to me which had normal size print because I agree tiny print can be a nightmare!

Heathcliff is quite possibly one of my favourite book characters ever,his obsessiveness is fascinating.

It's one of those books you think about for a long time well after finishing it.

I have a gorgeous copy of this in the Collectors Library edition.

These are really twee little books, with gilt edge, red ribbon marker, and pinstripe jackets. And I am slowly getting all of my favourite classics in this edition because they are so stunningly beautiful.

Wuthering Heights is a beautiful story and the passion and tragedy contained within was wonderful to read.

• 2 weeks later...

I've read this book many times and it's my favorite Bronte book~actually my favorite book of all time! :D

The wild scenery of the story is a perfect backdrop for the untamed emotional bond between Heathcliff and Cathy. It's a love story that not only ruined their lives and most of those around them, but causes damage to the succeeding generation, which happily towards the end holds some promise of finally healing.

I have only seen two movies made from this book--both quite old (not sure how many there are in total?) but I hated both of them! Mainly, the actors chosen did not match who I imagined for these powerful characters, and their portrayals were a dissapointment for me.

I may just give it another chance and will look for the one mentioned here that is newer, but I'm doubtful.....I almost NEVER enjoy any movie made from a favorite book, but I'll try to keep an open mind. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprise?

I recently heard this story on BBCi player, and it was a little better than any of the movies, but obviously very abridged. I think it might be time to read this book again; it's been a couple years since the last time. The version I have now is a cheapie paperback from a used book store, and it also has miniscule print. I haven't read this version before; I keep giving the book away and having to get another when I want to read it again. :D

• 1 month later...

I seem to be the only one who just does not like this book. I hated most of the characters, especially Heathcliff and Cathy. The only characters I did like was Cathy Junior and Hareton.

We had a discussion in class about this book after reading it (I am a University student), and our teacher brought up some points that I completely missed while reading. Obviously because I never got interested in the book. He pointed out all contrasts written into the book. Cold spooky dark Wuthering Heights up on the hill vs. warm sheerful homey Thrushcross grange (what a hard title to say!) in the valley. Evil vs Kind. Rich vs Poor. Reckless vs Stable.

One thing I can say is that Bront

• 3 weeks later...

I normally enjoy the classics, but I couldn't stand Wuthering Heights. I found it dull, the prose is very dense, but unlike other classics, I felt that there was very little meaning or actual story in it. I just felt the story could have been told in far fewer pages and still had the same impact and effect.

I really tried to like the book, but I have to say that I can't understand why it is so popular. Could somebody enlighten me?

Well one aspect necessitating length (in my opinion) is that of the family and the outsider -

it's the story of two intertwined houses across three generations, the Earnshaws, Lintons, and by construction, the Heathcliffs. The manipulation of reconstruction of the families by Heathcliff all comes down to nothing, because in the end it is Hareton Earnshaw who is left - the original name showing absolutely nothing of all that went before.

• 1 month later...

I've started reading Wuthering Heights today. I've never seen the movie, and this is my second attempt at the novel: the first one ended after 10 pages or so, it was years ago and I found it all rather confusing. This time I'm liking it so far but when the narrator and his housekeeper were talking about the different relations and connections between certain people I found it rather confusing and I had to draw a family tree for myself to help me remember it :D Then I figured I'd just have to read it and sort it all out in my head as the story moves along.