Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Nessicle

I can't get to in to the Black Magician Trilogy because of the way it flips from one characters thoughts to another (highly confusing!) so I decided to start on a classic, Wuthering Heights, I'm only on the third chapter though because it's so damn hard to read as the writing is sooo tiny!

Why do they do that with the classics? Why can't they print them in normal size font? I find that I'm reading and re-reading the same sentences because I lose my point on the page it's a nightmare!

Apart from that I think it's a bit soon to decide whether I'm enjoying it but I do really want to persevere with it. Has anyone else read it?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read it a while back. I had the same problem - tiny font - but the writing is just gorgeous. Stick with it - it's a rip-roaring good story with characters you'll love or hate or love to hate.

It is hard work to start with - but it's well worth persevering with. I found the further you get the better it gets. I think I struggled for the first hundred pages or so - a long time ago now so not exactly sure. Good luck.

Its a brilliant book. It has one of my all time favourite quotes from a book (and don't worry, it doesn't spoil a thing) -

'Surely you and every body have a notion that there is - or should be - an existence of yours beyond yourself. What were the use of my creation, were it entirely contained here?' - Cathy.

I think thats brilliant. Theres a load of little universal gems like that throughout - its not the happiest book in existence but it has, in my humble opinion, a relatively happy ending. What isn't happy about the overall story, is real, things to do with family, class, gender, power, things we can all relate to. Its sometimes unhappy because of the reality in it - it's happy because of the additional philosophical touches if you like, like what the above quote suggests. To me it's a book about finding something beyond the mere world we see and trying to hold on to it, even though everything in reality may go against you. It's a beautiful book.

It's unfortunate to hear that you couldn't get into the Black Magician trilogy, as I loved them. And I enjoyed the way the characters flipped and changed. I haven't read Wuthering Heights, but saying that, it is on the list of 'possible reading material' for my English Literature course in September. It would be good of me to read some of them before I start it, so I'm prepared.

I too read this awhile ago. Heathcliff and Cathy's relationship was destined to fail. He does everything to prove he's worthy of her, but can't escape the reality of their mutual past.

Edited by hume
Please use capitals for names.

Thanks for the comments everyone! It helps me to know I'm not being dumb by struggling to read it lol :-) I'll try to persevere on, because I definitely think it's going to be worth reading as it is a classic. I still don't understand why they have to print it in such small type mind you he he

It's unfortunate to hear that you couldn't get into the Black Magician trilogy, as I loved them. And I enjoyed the way the characters flipped and changed. I haven't read Wuthering Heights, but saying that, it is on the list of 'possible reading material' for my English Literature course in September. It would be good of me to read some of them before I start it, so I'm prepared.

Yeah it's just confusing flipping from one person to another, because I forget who I'm reading about and then have to restart the section lol :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

I read this for the first time in school an I loved it,so much so that I read it twice more when I left school. In my opinion it's well worth persevering with it. As someone mentioned it's full of characters that will have your emotions all over the place. I hated with a vengence,Lindon!

I read this about 15 years ago, and I didn't enjoy it at all. I wonder whether I would appreciate it more now, as I think my reading tastes have developed since then. I might give it another go, but at the moment, I think my favourite thing about it, is that it inspired the amazing Kate Bush song!

That my next read after I've finished Jane Eyre.

I loved Jane Eyre!! Its an amazing story. I actually enjoyed it more than Wuthering Heights. I found the characters in Wuthering Heights annoying, they brought all their problems on themselves. But that's just my opinion. I hope you enjoy it more than I did. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Many say that they didn't like any of the characters...well that's generally true :D (except maybe Hareton for me), but I think that was one of the points of the book. It was a story about two unsympathetic people that, nevertheless, were deeply in love. That's my opinion

Many say that they didn't like any of the characters...well that's generally true :D (except maybe Hareton for me), but I think that was one of the points of the book. It was a story about two unsympathetic people that, nevertheless, were deeply in love. That's my opinion

I agree with you Dimitra. It's one of those great love stories even though the characters aren't likeable in the slightest. I like Nelly and Hareton but that's about it.

One of my favourite quotes has to be:

My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods; time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees. My love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath--a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind--not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself, but as my own being.

That's one of the best lines in the whole book. That and,

'surely you and every body have a notion that there is, or should be, an existence of yours beyond your own? What were the use of my creation, if it were entirely contained here?'