Q&A / Slumdog Millionaire - Vikras Swarup

bethany725

I just found this book yesterday, so it seemed like a signal to come home and find this post. I started it this morning. Didn't see the movie and probably won't . I'm not much of a movie fan. Books are always better .

Hi folks

I'm wondering if any of you can give me a quick rundown on the Rule that India has been under ? I am sadly lacking in that information ,regarding their history . I'm reading the part of Slumdog when they are in the Air Raid shelters ,at war with Pakistan .

Could anyone give me a quick reply regarding their country's wars, whose rule they have been under,and if they are currently under their own rule ?

Sorry for the stupid question ,but I am sadly lacking in that information . Were they ever under Pakistan's rule ?

Hi folks

I'm wondering if any of you can give me a quick rundown on the Rule that India has been under ? I am sadly lacking in that information ,regarding their history . I'm reading the part of Slumdog when they are in the Air Raid shelters ,at war with Pakistan .

Could anyone give me a quick reply regarding their country's wars, whose rule they have been under,and if they are currently under their own rule ?

Sorry for the stupid question ,but I am sadly lacking in that information . Were they ever under Pakistan's rule ?

From what I understand (and I am not that knowledgeable, this is just what I've put together from various news stories) Pakistan was part of India. The partition happened sometime after WWII. I am not sure if India was still under British rule at the time or if Pakistan came into existence around the time they gained their independence.

They were seperated because of the different religions (though I am assuming there must be more to it than just religions? but I don't know, I've only ever heard about the partition in conjunction with religion) though it led to violence as Muslims fled to Pakistain out of India (though India still has a large Muslim community) and Hindus fled from Pakistan into India. There is still strife between the two countries and disputes over an area of land (I think it's Kashmir? But I am not sure) and civil unrest in both countries though I think things are getting better in recent years.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be able to help you more and correct anything I've gotten wrong.

Hi Abcinthia

Thank you for the reply. I am sadly lacking in knowledge regarding the wars that India has had ,how strong their military is, who their allies and enemies are,etc .

I know from reading A Fine Balance a few years ago that it sounds like a very diverse country,with so many different religions,beliefs, and "shelves" people are put on,for lack of a better term. It seems that it is very divided up due to income, etc also,so it's quite a challenge to sort it all out .

Thanks again for your help .