Q&A / Slumdog Millionaire - Vikras Swarup

bethany725

I really liked it.. I gave it an 8.5/10 for my rating. :P

I posted a little mini review on my bookshelf thread (Beth's Bookshelf) on this board if you have any interest in reading it. And if you don't... no problem there either, and you can know that I liked it and think it's a good read. :D The story picks up really quickly and it's easy to get into. Also some twists and turns I wasn't expecting.... Does that tempt you?? :lol:

I don't think the films out in England yet. :P I'd be interested about reading the book though. Have you read it? What did you think?

The film was released 9 January in the UK, but to be honest, I wasn't very impressed by it - it was rather dull and they'd changed too much pf it (for no apparent reason either!) for my liking. The book however, I loved. My review HERE.

While searching around for the synopsis to include in my review, I kept hitting on reviews and synopsis for the movie.. I got the impression that they changed some of the major characters' names (including the MAIN character) in the movie? I hated to read too much into it as I hadn't seen the film yet, but I was really surprised by this if it's true. Does anyone know? Or people that have seen the film... what was the main character's name in the movie?

...Just me and Kell and a couple of other people who've read the book have been disappointed with the film, I think.

I think you're right Andy - if you've read the book, the film isn't going to be a patch on it, but if you see the film first and THEN read the book (or only do one or the other) then you'll most probably enjoy it.

I think you're right Andy - if you've read the book, the film isn't going to be a patch on it, but if you see the film first and THEN read the book (or only do one or the other) then you'll most probably enjoy it.

I read the book last summer and saw the film a week ago... and I enjoyed both! It's true a lot was changed in the film, but I knew it beforehand and didnt really approach it as an adaptation of the book. If I had I'm sure I would have been very disapointed, but as a stand alone film it is amazing! The story isn't as good but I loved the way it is filmed and the general vibe.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched this film last night, and really enjoyed it!!

For me, it was different enough from the book so I could evaluate it separately without holding it to the expectations of the book. Couldn't believe all the changes.. almost every characters' name was changed, and all of the questions in the game show were completely different.

Didn't bother me though, and actually made it easier for me to enjoy, since I couldn't really compare the two. ;)

Only thing I wish was a bit different was would have liked a bit more twists and turns.. there are definitely more in the book, and I wish the film had more of that.

Other than that, no complaints from me! :blush:

I read the book ages ago and really enjoyed it. Haven't sen the film yet so cannot comment on that.

ditto and think after reading posts on here I won't make a special effort to see the film. I enjoyed the book and wouldn't want that ruined! I will wait a while to see the film and by then should have forgotten the main details of the book!

Watched this film last night, and really enjoyed it!!

For me, it was different enough from the book so I could evaluate it separately without holding it to the expectations of the book. Couldn't believe all the changes.. almost every characters' name was changed, and all of the questions in the game show were completely different.

Didn't bother me though, and actually made it easier for me to enjoy, since I couldn't really compare the two. :)

I completely agree with you on this bethany! The book and film should be taken separately really, and they are both great in their own way :blush:

ditto and think after reading posts on here I won't make a special effort to see the film. I enjoyed the book and wouldn't want that ruined! I will wait a while to see the film and by then should have forgotten the main details of the book!

Which is why you shouldn't be worried about seeing it The Library Nook... So long as you're not ooking for a mirror interpretation of the book you should love it ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...