Marina Lewycka - A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian

Maureen

(Most unexpectedly good book (something which exceeded all expectations) : A Short History Of Tractors In Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka

The title of this book has been of intrigue to me, since I heard it. I could not decide whether the title would be of a totally boring, uninteresting, insipid book about tractors, or if it has nothing at all to do with the story. Well today I decided to find a review.....and here it is:

For years, Nadezhda and Vera, two Ukrainian sisters, raised in England by their refugee parents, have had as little as possible to do with each other - and they have their reasons. But now they find they'd better learn how to get along, because since their mother's death their aging father has been sliding into his second childhood, and an alarming new woman has just entered his life. Valentina, a bosomy young synthetic blonde from the Ukraine, seems to think their father is much richer than he is, and she is keen that he leave this world with as little money to his name as possible. If Nadazhda and Vera don't stop her, no one will. But separating their addled and annoyingly lecherous dad from his new love will prove to be no easy feat - Valentina is a ruthless pro and the two sisters swiftly realize that they are mere amateurs when it comes to ruthlessness. As Hurricane Valentina turns the family house upside down, old secrets come falling out, including the most deeply buried one of them all, from the War, the one that explains much about why Nadazhda and Vera are so different.In the meantime, oblivious to it all, their father carries on with the great work of his dotage, a grand history of the tractor.

I think a lot of you would agree that it sounds like a good read!! Will certainly look out for it.

• 1 month later...

You should look out for it, everyone, if you haven't already - it's a terrific read, light and amusing without being brainless (it has interesting things to say about care for the elderly, for instance). It should have been on the Booker shortlist in my opinion, and I think it's a rare example of a book that would appeal to all shades of reader.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
I´ve just finished it, I thought it was good. So was Big Sis actually Little Sis´s mother or have I got that completely wrong?

Really? I didn't pick that up when I read it. I must have read over some bits too quickly and missed that.