The Inbetween World of Vikram lall - Vassanji

Infidel - Ali

The Inheritance of Loss - Desai

In The Country of Men - Matar

In The Eye of the Sun - Ahdaf Soueif

In The Time of Butterflies - Alvarez

Invisible Cities - Italo Calvino

Jellicoe Road - Melina Marchetta

The Joys of Motherhood - Buchi Emecheta (*)

The Last Chapter - Leila Abouzeid

The last flight of the flamingo - Couto

The Last Summer of Reason - Tahar Djaou

Let It Come Down - Bowles

Letter to a Christian Nation - Harris

Little Boys Come from the Stars - Dongala

Like Nowhere Else - Denyse Woods

The Lost Dog - Michelle De Kretser

Loving In The War Years - Moraga

The Match - Gunesekera

Measuring Time - Habila

Mema - Mengara

Minaret - Leila Aboulela

A Mind of Her Own - Anne Campbell

Mosquito - Roma Tearne

My Name Is Red - Pamuk

Nervous Conditions - Tsitsi Dangarembga

Of Water and the Spirit by Amidoma Patrice Some

Onitsha - Le Clezio

Oranges Are Not Only Fruit - Jeanette Winterson

Out Stealing Horses - Petterson

Painter of Shanghai - Jennifer Epstein

People I Wanted To Be - Ochsner

Point of Return - Siddhartha Deb

Portrait of Sepia - Allende

Purple Hibiscus - Adichie

A Question of Power - Bessie Head

Red Poppies - Alai

Redundancy of Courage - Timothy Mo

Reef - Gunesekera

Saffron Kitchen - Crowther

Sea of Poppies - Ghosh

Seasons of Migration to the North - Tayeb Salih

Second-class Citizen - Buchi Emecheta

Segu - Maryse Conde

She Plays With The Darkness - Zakes Mda

The Sheltering Sky - Bowles

Sister Outsider - Audre Lorde

Sky Burial - Xinran

Sleepwalking Land - Mia Couto

Stone Virgins - Yvonne Vera

A Story Like the Wind - Laurens van der Post

A Sunday at the Pool in the Kigali - Couremanche

Sweet Dreams - Daniel C. Dennett

Tales of Murasaki - Liza Dably

This Blinding Absence of Light - Jelloun

This Bridge Called My Back - Cherrie Moraga

A Thousand Years of Good Prayers - Yiyun Li

Two Women - Marianne Fredriksson

Under African Skies - Charles Larson

The Underpainter - Urquhart

Under the Frangipani - Mia Cuota

The Viceroy of Ouidah by Bruce Chatwin

Waiting for Snow in Havana - Eire

Walk The Blue Fields - Keegan

War by Candlelight - Daniel Alarcon

Wasted Vigil - Aslam

The Whale Caller - Zakes Mda

The White Tiger - Adiga

What the Body Remembers - Baldwin

Whiteman - D'Souza

Wide Sargasso Sea - Rhys

Wolf Totem - Jiang Rong

Women at Point Zero - Saadawi (*)

Women of the Left Bank - Benstock

The Yacoubian Building - Aswany

Starting Count: 111

I always find it interesting to see what books I had intentions of reading at the beginning of the year and which ones I actually end up reading. My reading habits change faster than I can read the books.

Edited by everydayxangels

January Books

The Belly of the Atlantic- Fatou Diome

I participate in the Global Challenge, and at the moment Africa has my attention, and this book takes place in Senegal. I had read another Senegalese book (So Long A Letter) and didn't think that highly of it, but this book was just incredible. The stories and folklore that surround this island community are beatific and very imaginative. I am enamored with Fatou and her writing.

Zami - Audre Lorde

I read a lot of LGBT books and this autobiography of a major gay rights pioneer dazzled me. I find it fascinating to see peoples roots and find where they got their strength. I will be reading much more by Audre.

The Bluest Eye - Morisson

Everyone has raved about Morisson and all of her books, I didn't know which to read first. This was a great choice. I braced myself for the sadness and the abrasiveness of the subject matter - and loved it. A necessary read.

The Samurai's Garden - Tsukiyama

I am always one for subtleties in fiction, I find them to have much more value to me. And this was one that fell right into that. A man recovers from tuberculosis on the seaside of Japan and finds incredible peace, friendships, a lover and heartache, all of it beautiful.

• 1 month later...

My February Books:

Butterfly Burning by Yvonne Vera

This slim read that packs a punch takes place in Zimbabwe. It was incredibly dense and literary, but incredibly beautiful and lyrical. Fumbatha, a construction worker meets the heroine, Phephelaphi and wishes her to be his and "wants her like the land beneath his feet." Phephali is not satisfied with the cage he provides her and her desire for freedom and exploration ends their relationship. It was so beautiful and provided immense insight to Zimbabwe, Vera oftentimes plugging her beliefs into the plot. However, it was so dense hat I am going to have to re-read it simply to comprehend it fully.

Balzac & the Little Chinese Seamstress - Sijie

It takes place in China. A pleasant read about censorship and "re-education" during the Chinese cultural revolution. Two city youths are sent to the rural hill of china to be re-educated by the peasants. In the surrounding town, they form a reserved friendship with Four-Eyes, whose mysterious suitcase catches the attention of the nameless narrator. The uncover the suitcase to discover a case full of banned western novels. The two boys devour the works and in time change their own circumstances. This book highlights the irony of the re-education that was done and presents insight into present / western censorship.

Ancestor Stones by Aminatta Forna

I can compare it to The Red Tent for Sierra Leone. Abbie, living in present day London, is called back to her home country Sierra Leone by guilt. Four of her 11 aunts, who all shared the same husband tell the stories of their lives. A very interesting look at the globalization / colonization. It spanned from 1920's to the 1990's told through stories by the aunts. The Igbo faith, the coming of "the white man" and with him their Muslim faith (different from the Christian faith) and modernization. I thought it most interesting that although women were still incredibly oppressed, some still were able to leave their husbands if their circumstances became unbearable. A little unknown fact, Sierra Leone created the self-adhesive stamp.

--

I am currently reading The Seasons of Beento Blackbird, which takes place in Ghana, Jamaica and NYC which is quite fast paced and enjoyable.

• 4 weeks later...

MARCH books

The Seasons of Beento Blackbird By Akosua Busia

A children's author, Solomon loves his women and loves love. One of his wives lives on a lush island in the Carribbean. She is an easy-going and sensitive soul, a very likable character though very little is said of her. His other, younger and shy wife lives in Ghana. He also has a potential love interest, his agent/publicist in America. The women are the seasons of Solomon. The writing was beautiful at times with the scenic depiction and the description of the culture, but the dialogue was painfully improbable at times. Personally, I think she could have done without Solomon's girlfriend/publicist in America. Though his trips to America were very interesting, with the racism that he experiences, I just don't think it was entirely necessary.

Complete Persepolis Marjane Satrapi

I was at first apprehensive about reading a graphic novel, but as it was for school, I saw very little choice. I loved it whole very much. Very interesting looking at the revolution through a child's eyes and in the end I was very thankful for the sketches. The writing as well as the pictures were incredibly witty and humorous. The little girls running about with the veils, making them out to be toys. Highly recommended.

The River Between by Ngugi wa Thiong'o (quite a mouthful)

I had read Achebe's depiction of colonization and then the most toxic aspect was the religion, that was the case for this novel as well, except in Kenya. The daughter of a Christian fanatic wishes to be circumcised, which is frowned vehemently upon by her fathers new-found religion. She decides to disobey the person she fears most and runs away to be circumcised and live with her aunt. The young woman dies from being circumcised, which people believe to be their ancestors/gods frowning upon the new religion. Where people used to be grey about their faith, the legend of the daughter is now the catalyst for the war between Christianity and the indigenous faith. I thoroughly enjoyed book.

• 1 month later...

APRIL BOOKS

A Leap by Anna Enquist

A really beautiful collection of short drama monologues. The first one is my favorite, a story of Alma who is a talented musician is given the ultimatum: her lover or her music / herself. She chooses her lover and starts her life as "her husbands wife" then "her child's mother" and after introspection she begins to doubt her decision. However, at the end she is given another chance to choose and her decision is heart-breaking. I strongly recommend this.

The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Adichie (released June 16th)

I enjoyed this short story collection almost as much as Half of a Yellow Sun. In most of the stories, it's about Nigerian-Americans, each told with a fresh perspective and about a different subject-matter. Adichie writes beautifully and certainly doesn't disappoint with her latest.

Vast Fields of Orindary By Nick Burd

A very touching coming of age YA novel about a miserable closeted gay boy in suburban America. Dade is in a purely physical relationship with the most popular boy at school, who won't acknowledge his existence in public. It's the summer before Dade leaves for college and he meets two people that will be pivotal in his life. Nothing extremely remarkable, but enjoyable.

The Joys of Motherhood by Buchi Emecheta

Set in Nigeria, Nnu Ego, the daughter of a fiercely independent woman and a powerful man, makes the transition of a rural family-oriented society to an urban "white" city. She deals with the vast heart-breaking differences between the two cultures. Her husband now serves a white woman younger than he, who refers to him as "boy" and she endures the loss of her first-born. I thought it very well written and a beautiful piece of work.