Paul's Reading Year 2009

Jack Dawkins

Targets. 15(10) Fiction(I only finished 4 last year),5 Non-Fiction,5 Sport,10(6) Graphic Novels/Comic Collections

Would Like to Read this Year.War and Peace by Tolstoy(if I hit my target I'm going to read this book year)Stalingrad(re-read)and Berlin by Antony Beevor.All of The Dresden Books by Jim Butcher

January

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens(440 Pages) 8/10

Storm Front:Book one of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher(341 pages) 8/10

February

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess(141 pages) 9/10

Asterix the Legionary(Comic Book)by Goscinny and Uderzo(48 pages)8/10

A Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde(253 pages)8/10

March

Juggernaut by Desmond Bagley(320 pages)7/10

April

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong(448 pages)7/10

May

No books completed

June

No books completed

July

No books completed

August

No books completed

September

No books completed

October

Fables: Legends in Exile(Graphic Novel) (also included written short story A Wolf in the Fold ) by Bill Willingham(124 pages) 9/10

A Kestrel for a Knave by Barry Hines(199 pages) 10/10

The Frightened Gun by George G. Gilman(126 pages) 9/10

Fables: Animal Farm(Graphic Novel) by Bill Willingham(128 pages) 9/10

Haunted by James Herbert(224 pages) 9/10

Fables:Arabian Nights(and Days)by Bill Willingham(141 pages)9/10

Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz(420 pages)10/10

Fables: Wolves(Graphic Novel)by Bill Willingham(159pages)8/10

November

Y The Last Man(vol1):Unmanned(Graphic Novel) by Brian Vaughan and Pia Guerra(128 pages) 8/10

Edited by Jack Dawkins
update

If you do War and Peace, please let me know if it's worth the read. I recall reading 240+ pages many years ago and quitting. I know I will read it on a good recommendation. :blush:

No problems,I've meaning to get hold of it for a few years now but I've always put it off but I'm going to go for it this year

Oh, interesting! I have vague plans towards A Clockwork Orange. What was it that was so good?

I just found it so exciting.I've never read a book quite like it.I was little bit worried about the slang used throughout called "Nadsat" but it actually adds something to the book,if you do find nadsat off putting there are glossaries available on the internet.The violence in book is shocking but it essential to the telling of the story.

Thank you! I made a presentation of the film A Clockwork Orange once upon a time for school- and I never actually saw the film (what can I say? I was 14..). Well anyway, being who I am I have a much better chance of reading the book, and it's been kind of there in the back of my head ever since I made that fake presentation that one day I will make up for it.

Oh, I don't remember my grade, other than it was OK. I knew what the teacher wanted to hear, I had had her for a couple of years by then. I remember vividly a classmate who suddenly in the last year of that school did a book report and started his presentation with: I really read this book, it's the first one I've read of the books I've done presentations about. :roll:

Asterix the Legionary,started and finished this today as comics go the Asterix stories are superb.I reckon I first read this in the seventies and I loved it,the thing is reading it again as an alleged adult you appreciate the subtle humour which is aimed at adults.I read this because I've been short of reading time the last couple of days,I'm glad I did :blush:

I've never read any of Asterix, but I did get given three gorgeously bound copies of the Nicholas children's books which are also written by Rene Goscinny (and Jean-Jacques Sempe). They're wonderful books filled with short stories about the schoolboy Nicholas, aimed at probably 6-10 year old boys, and would be great for reading to children.

I've never read any of Asterix, but I did get given three gorgeously bound copies of the Nicholas children's books which are also written by Rene Goscinny (and Jean-Jacques Sempe). They're wonderful books filled with short stories about the schoolboy Nicholas, aimed at probably 6-10 year old boys, and would be great for reading to children.

I might check these out,my boys may well like them

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...