Paul's Reading Year 2009

Jack Dawkins

Is it a matter of lost reading mojo, or have the books just not inspired you at all?

Don't worry about targets too much, it's more important to enjoy what you do get to read rather than the number. :blush:

I reckon it was reading overload I was reading 3 at once and I blew a gasket and just could'nt get back in to it. I've shelved the books I was reading and started again. I'll stick to one at a time.... for now

Finished Fables:Legends in Exile a graphic novel by Bill Willingham. Excellent, the story centres around fairy story characters exiled in modern day New York. The main protagonists are Bigby Wolf Fabletown's one man/wolf police force, Snow White Fabletown's deputy mayor(King Cole is the head honcho) and Rose Red, Snow's sister.

Also included A Wolf in the Fold, a written short story explaining Bigby Wolf's origins.

This comic book was on the adult shelves at the local library with some justification, not for the youngsters.

Finished A Kestrel for a Knave by Barry Hines. Brilliant, I read this in high school back in 82/83 and its stayed with me ever since. A remark by my eldest son's football coach made want to reread the book("He looked like summat outta Kes").Time has not diminished this classic. The story is of Billy Casper and his hawk Kes. Billy is schoolboy picked upon by all and sundry his only solace is his kestrel hawk whom he has raised from a chick and trained.

The Characters in the book are living breathing people.Jud,Billy's shocking miner brother,Billy's uncaring Mum,Billy himself something of an anti hero but you really feel for him and a special hiss for Mr Sugden the games teacher a real bully.The book is filled with great set pieces, the games lesson is class.The end of the book when Billy is alone in a derelict cinema is very touching. I love A Kestrel for a Knave both touching and gritty in equal parts. If you dont fancy reading the book try and pick up a copy in the library or a shop and read page 89 A Tall Story(Billy's class had to write something totally fictional). 10/10 The film adaptation KES is also worth a look.

Finished Haunted by James Herbert. Great story about psychic investigator David Ash who has to investigate a haunting at a country mansion called Edbrook.

I love ghost stories and this up there with the best in my opinion, I also love James Herbert some I'm probably biased.

I read the Ghosts of Sleath which is the follow up to Haunted first, which whilst it did not spoil the story would have been better read in order. I saw the film before I read the book, that was a mistake as I knew the main twist when it came.Apart from the twist the film and the book are very different, the book much more satisfying than its celluloid counterpart. 9/10

Finished A Kestrel for a Knave by Barry Hines. 10/10 The film adaptation KES is also worth a look.

The film is fab. I haven't read the book though.

Finished Haunted by James Herbert. Great story about psychic investigator David Ash who has to investigate a haunting at a country mansion called Edbrook.

I love ghost stories and this up there with the best in my opinion, I also love James Herbert some I'm probably biased.

I read the Ghosts of Sleath which is the follow up to Haunted first.9/10

I read Haunted this year and thoroughly enjoyed it. There's nothing like a good ghost story when you're in the mood.

I hadn't realised there was a sequel though. I may have to check that out :D

Finished Fables:Arabian Nights(and Days) by Bill Willingham the 7th graphic novel in the series. Unfortunately I've Jumped from vol 2 to vol 7(I'm reading all that our library has) I've obviously missed swathes of storyline but it was still a cracking read. I will endeavor to catch up and continue this fantastic comicbook series. 9/10

Finished Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. Awesome book I loved it. Odd Thomas is a fry cook in Pico Mundo in the Mojave Desert.Odd Thomas sees dead people and has a compulsion to help them. Something bad is going to happen to Pico Mundo on the 15th of August. Odd Thomas is against the clock to avert disaster. The book starts on the 14th of August. This is a super fast paced supernatural thriller.

Dont do what I did though and read the synopsis of the sequels they give away a vital part of the plot. 10/10

Finished another Fables graphic novel, Wolves in which Bigby Wolf(the big bad wolf in human form) marries Snow White! Bill Willingham has excelled himself again. The only problem with this book was that it included an original script although interesting it was a bit like walking through treacle. 8/10