Accents

BrainFreeze

I'm from Northern Ireland and I think the Belfast accent is absolutely awful. It sounds really harsh and crude. Where I live, further north, the accents are more 'countrified' and softer, thank goodness, even the ones from Belfast can't understand us :D. I'm so glad there are loads of dialects over here.

I really like the accents from the south of Ireland .. I could listen to them all day. I also think the Welsh and Scottish accents are easy on the ear too, although I find some Scottish ones (not sure whereabouts though) can be harsh, the same as here :readingtwo:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting discussion ii and Bethany! I've grown with 2 languages from the age of 5.

In my case it was never an issue as I learned french first and only started on english at the age of 5 and that was only ever for school... My parents did try to make us speak english at dinnertime after we returned to live in France but a few silent dinners convinced them otherwise *laughs*

But I seem to have drawn the line at 3 languages: I started german in school when I was 9 and enjoyed it but then added spanish when I was 13 and got completely confused: it was like there was only one slot available in my mind for both languages and they were constantly fighting for the space.

I'm so jealous if you multi-linguals over there!! :readingtwo: You know 3 REALLY useful languages between Spanish, French, and English. Have you traveled ANYWHERE where you haven't been able to communicate with someone in some form of those languages??

I'm **** with languages. I learned Irish from age 5 until 18, and I can't remember most of it now. I learned some french aged 11-12, don't remeber that. Did Latin when I was 13 :readingtwo: And took Spanish from 13-18 as well. I don't remember any of that either, because I hated it. I had wanted french to continue on my two year of study but they didn't give it to me. I'm really, really bad at languages.

I dont know why but i have always found the Scottish accent so sexy on a woman.

unfortunately they dont feel the same about my dopey Brummie one.:readingtwo:

I love the midlands accent. It sounds so warm and friendly. Frank Skinner, Lenny Henry - love it. Even the really broad ones. I pretty much love all accents, especially UK/Irish ones. I think all accents can sound good or bad depending on who's speaking them.

I love the midlands accent. It sounds so warm and friendly. Frank Skinner, Lenny Henry - love it. Even the really broad ones. I pretty much love all accents, especially UK/Irish ones. I think all accents can sound good or bad depending on who's speaking them.

I love a Brummy accent!

But I do agree that all accents depend upon the speaker! :readingtwo:

In that case what are you doing tonight lol sorry couldnt resist.

You know 3 REALLY useful languages between Spanish, French, and English. Have you traveled ANYWHERE where you haven't been able to communicate with someone in some form of those languages??

Well it depends on how deeply you want to communicate and who with... wherever I've been there's always been someone who knew a bit of english but then that doesnt mean I can really hold conversations with them or that most of the population isnt speaking some other language...

Take India for example (random choice, really :(). Of course english is a big language there and you can always get away with it but when you get away from the big cities most of the time people will only know a few words and many people not at all... I spent 24h with an Indian family in a tiny village. We could barely understand each other for the basics. Quite an experience :(

So out of the three the most useful is, much as I dont like to say it, english... And you got that naturally! lol

I'm really, really bad at languages.

Maybe you just had really bad teachers! Learning a language in the classroom is soo difficult and badly teached most of the time...

Well it depends on how deeply you want to communicate and who with...

Take India for example (random choice, really :(). Of course english is a big language there and you can always get away with it but when you get away from the big cities most of the time people will only know a few words and many people not at all... I spent 24h with an Indian family in a tiny village. We could barely understand each other for the basics. Quite an experience :(

I will say that India is a toughie.. Even in the larger cities, English can be pretty much useless when it comes to buying items from smaller stores, conversing with people on the streets, etc. My husband is in a large banking office all day and he rarely runs across people that DON'T speak English. I, however, am running errands and talking to the help in our house all day (not as strange as it sounds here.. everyone has help here for some reason. Do not take me as spoiled.. We are not! :roll: ) .. and I rarely run into someone that DOES speak English. All about who you come in contact with.

I'd think you may also (I've been thinking about this!) have trouble in places like Sao Paolo, etc.. ? You think?

Other than that, I think you're right.. English definitely could be the most useful, and it will probably get you by most places.

Love to hear how you ended up spending 24h w/a family in a village of India, too.. That's interesting!

I'd think you may also (I've been thinking about this!) have trouble in places like Sao Paolo, etc.. ? You think?

Other than that, I think you're right.. English definitely could be the most useful, and it will probably get you by most places.

Probably, as in non french speaking african countries and european countries other than france, the UK, Ireland and Spain...

I'll answer the rest on your 'wall' as we'we gotten completely off topic and I could discuss India for ages :(

Probably, as in non french speaking african countries and european countries other than france, the UK, Ireland and Spain...

I'll answer the rest on your 'wall' as we'we gotten completely off topic and I could discuss India for ages :(

Oh my.. :roll: I've gotten off topic AGAIN.. I'm going to get in trouble for this. I must do better!

So back to accents.. yes, English is going to get you nowhere in those. I've pretty much ruled out non-English speaking countries for our next rotation, after my experience with India. I've adjusted.. but the accent won't even let me speak proper Hindi! :(

I, however, am running errands and talking to the help in our house all day (not as strange as it sounds here.. everyone has help here for some reason. Do not take me as spoiled.. We are not! :( ) .. and I rarely run into someone that DOES speak English. All about who you come in contact with.

Having help is not 'spoiled'.

Not in Germany. I tried ordering "two Sprites" once, some years back, and the, get this, 20-something young guy in a touristy castle was like "zwai??" Argh!

Oh, and the accent being good or bad IS related to the speaker! I mean, who can say the Texas accent is bad when spoken by a hot tanned tall and dark cowboy with the stetson and the boots and the worn-out faded jeans clinging to his legs? anyone? Charm, stop drooling, you'll ruin your keyboard.

Edited by ii

Having help is not 'spoiled'.

Not in Germany. I tried ordering "two Sprites" once, some years back, and the, get this, 20-something young guy in a touristy castle was like "zwai??" Argh!

Oh, and the accent being good or bad IS related to the speaker! I mean, who can say the Texas accent is bad when spoken by a hot tanned tall and dark cowboy with the stetson and the boots and the worn-out faded jeans clinging to his legs? anyone? Charm, stop drooling, you'll ruin your keyboard.

It's definitely NOT spoiled here.. but my family at home about had a hissy fit when they heard about this. I don't come from a family that can afford to have other people "help" them w/things, so it took a lot of getting used to, and I definitely wouldn't be having it if it wasn't provided by my husband's company here. Where we move next, we will definitely not be hiring help on our own.. We gots lots of other things we need to spend our money on, unfortunately! :(

Loving how you like the Texas accent, but only on men with cowboy hats and stetsons.. too funny! :(

It's definitely NOT spoiled here.. but my family at home about had a hissy fit when they heard about this. I don't come from a family that can afford to have other people "help" them w/things, so it took a lot of getting used to, and I definitely wouldn't be having it if it wasn't provided by my husband's company here. Where we move next, we will definitely not be hiring help on our own.. We gots lots of other things we need to spend our money on, unfortunately! :(

Oh, I know the hizzy fit reaction. In Finland, it's really rare to have help, and it's only now getting around that it's okay to hire someone to help you out. The way I see it, I have much better uses for my time than vacuuming and dusting and washing the windows. (like being here! hahahaaa)

Loving how you like the Texas accent, but only on men with cowboy hats and stetsons.. too funny! :(

What can I say? I'm a girl, BF's in North America, and apparently bribing Ski Guy to let me attend the World's with naughty things and a nice pair of Army Boots is not allowed, even despite having French heritage... I like manly men. You know, beaten up a bit? A strong pair of shoulders and a broken nose make my knees go wobbly.

Don't worry Bethany! I know that you're definitely not spoiled. I worked with a young woman from India, and she told me how almost everyone there has some kind of hired help. She can never get used to it when she visits her family over there, and her parents, who live here, never get used to not having the help anymore! :(

What can I say? I'm a girl, BF's in North America,

I didn't know the BF's in NA... where ??

Don't worry Bethany! I know that you're definitely not spoiled. I worked with a young woman from India, and she told me how almost everyone there has some kind of hired help. She can never get used to it when she visits her family over there, and her parents, who live here, never get used to not having the help anymore! :(

It's true.. I'm still not really used to it. Everyone here has it, but it's a bit much for me at times. Esp since they can't speak English, and I can't speak Hindi. Lots and lots of hand motions and acting-out tasks.. It's really just simpler to do it myself half the time! And I will admit that I miss my privacy sometimes.. strange always having people here.

I didn't know the BF's in NA... where ??

Ohm... Well, I'd rather not say. I've said earlier (on several occasions) that he plays hockey for living, so... I'm sure you understand.

It's true.. I'm still not really used to it. Everyone here has it, but it's a bit much for me at times. Esp since they can't speak English, and I can't speak Hindi. Lots and lots of hand motions and acting-out tasks.. It's really just simpler to do it myself half the time! And I will admit that I miss my privacy sometimes.. strange always having people here.

The privacy thing is something that really takes time to get used to. Especially when you don't share a language!

I'm from the Southern part of the U.S., but don't have the typical "Suthrn Accent". :( I'm from New Orleans and our accent is a little different, even sections of the city have different accents.

I'm told you can definitely tell I am from the South though...think Harry Connick, Jr. accent. http://www.harryconnickjr.com/