Accents

BrainFreeze

It is, when I try to explain it to someone. But I've learned the language, so I mostly just "switch gears" and take on the whole language at once, phrases and all. So if I'm speaking French, the French phrases and ways of speaking come naturally and the same for Finnish. And that easiness comes from having been surrounded by these languages from an early age, just like Poppy was talking about. *

But I still make mistakes. Especially if I'm making sudden changes from one language to another, or if I've been speaking one for a longer time. Good example is if I've been reading in English and writing my thesis (in English) and I stop by at the grocery store or a friend calls. It's tricky to switch to Finnish all of a sudden. Especially if I'm asked about my work or the book I'm reading! *laughs* So it's the back-and-forth that's tricky.

Also, I remember back in high school (which I did in English, in Finland), I'd be telling a story someone told during the day to Old Dragon in Finnish, and midway to the story I'd be "why does this sound so weird?" and I'd realise I heard in English.

* edit: I made way more mistakes growing up (which is the reason for a miserable year of school in SA), but as I've grown and spent more time with each language, I've kind of learned to make 'cleaner switches'. Interestingly though, I've also noticed that I have slightly different personalities in each language. That's odd!

Edited by ii

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, this is REALLY interesting. How do the personalities differ?? That's so unique!

It's small things, really. I'm a bit more reserved in Finnish, for example. I'll have to think about it, how to explain it, though. I've just noticed that I've done or said something that's been slightly 'off' and realised I wouldn't have done that in Paris/NY/BF's/Finland (circle which applies). I'll try to come up with examples, which, of course, now escape me. *laughs*

It's small things, really. I'm a bit more reserved in Finnish, for example. I'll have to think about it, how to explain it, though. I've just noticed that I've done or said something that's been slightly 'off' and realised I wouldn't have done that in Paris/NY/BF's/Finland (circle which applies). I'll try to come up with examples, which, of course, now escape me. *laughs*

Still neat.. Let me know if you come up with any.

Then I'll pick the most "sassy" personality as my favorite! :readingtwo:

Still neat.. Let me know if you come up with any.

Then I'll pick the most "sassy" personality as my favorite! :readingtwo:

*cracks up* I hope you speak French, then. I tell the dirtiest jokes in French. I once said that I curse in Finnish, fight in English and make love in French, which is pretty good description of it. I don't use the word 'love' in Finnish. I shop more liberally when speaking French (seriously, I went shopping with my two equally shopaholic friends, one French, the other English-speaking, and I shopped more frugally* with the latter. Weird.)... I speak more in English, but I like to discuss important personal things in French (drives BF crazy!). I'm more political in English...

Of course part of it is the people I hang out with in each language. But even taking that into account... I debate more in French, but joke more in English, for example. Even with same people!

* highly relative term here!

*cracks up* I hope you speak French, then. I tell the dirtiest jokes in French. I once said that I curse in Finnish, fight in English and make love in French, which is pretty good description of it. I don't use the word 'love' in Finnish. I shop more liberally when speaking French (seriously, I went shopping with my two equally shopaholic friends, one French, the other English-speaking, and I shopped more frugally* with the latter. Weird.)... I speak more in English, but I like to discuss important personal things in French (drives BF crazy!). I'm more political in English...

Of course part of it is the people I hang out with in each language. But even taking that into account... I debate more in French, but joke more in English, for example. Even with same people!

* highly relative term here!

So far, the "French ii" is definitely leading the pack for me! Hands down win, all around.

What I'm always amazed about with many people who do not have English as their first language, is the amazing grasp they DO have of it. Even to the extent of plays on words and sayings ...things that you not normally think they would understand. And very good grammar and spelling, often far surpassing native English speakers.

It was the dirty jokes, wasn't it? *laughs* works every time!

:readingtwo::lol:

What I'm always amazed about with many people who do not have English as their first language, is the amazing grasp they DO have of it. Even to the extent of plays on words and sayings ...things that you not normally think they would understand. And very good grammar and spelling, often far surpassing native English speakers.

I wonder why this is.. Do you think it's just because English is so widely available and easily accessible by most people everywhere??

I wonder why this is.. Do you think it's just because English is so widely available and easily accessible by most people everywhere??

It's that, Bethany, and also the fact that they've had to learn it. So you study the grammar, instead of just picking it up.

That said, I find that if I'm speaking to someone with a definite accent, I end up following on with it - especially with Australian and American accents. Unfortunately, because I do it without realising (often mid-sentence) folks often think I'm taking the mickey till they know me better!

This happens to me too and my daughter - it's certainly done at an unconscious level.

I switched not only accents but languages. (speaking of which, that's the easiest way to make your kid crazy, seriously, it totally messes with your mind.)

Ah - so that explains it then :readingtwo:

I have a slight welsh accent. Not valleys, not townie, just mild vague south welsh. A bit Charlotte Churchy perhaps, only less townie.

Ah - so that explains it then :readingtwo:

Haha, nice one. Thanks dahlin', love you too. (Well, I did go to therapy, isn't that where you learn to blame it all on the parents?)

I like the Texas accent too, but only on guys. There's something so self-assured and confident about it.

I switched not only accents but languages. (speaking of which, that's the easiest way to make your kid crazy, seriously, it totally messes with your mind.)

Interestingly though, I've also noticed that I have slightly different personalities in each language. That's odd!

Okay, this is REALLY interesting. How do the personalities differ?? That's so unique!

Very interesting discussion ii and Bethany! I've grown with 2 languages from the age of 5 and know many paople who have grown with several... It's true that it can get confusing but I think it depends on how clearly the difference between each is made and of course how many there are. In most cases two languages would be fine especially if the child identifies who speaks which language (i.e english is for school, french at home or english for dad and french for mum)... More than that, or if the language switches are completey random, might get very difficult.

In my case it was never an issue as I learned french first and only started on english at the age of 5 and that was only ever for school... My parents did try to make us speak english at dinnertime after we returned to live in France but a few silent dinners convinced them otherwise *laughs*

But I seem to have drawn the line at 3 languages: I started german in school when I was 9 and enjoyed it but then added spanish when I was 13 and got completely confused: it was like there was only one slot available in my mind for both languages and they were constantly fighting for the space. When in 'german' mode I would struggle to get out even 1 spanish word and once I finally recovered my spanish german had flown away. :D Spanish won hands down on the day I answered my new german teacher's call on the first day of class with a forceful: "Si, se

I agree - sometimes. George Eads=yes. Jensen Ackles=yes. George Bush=NO!:readingtwo:

Indeed! And luckily for me, CSI is on right now and, because I'm incredibly smart and great beyond every expectation, I moved my thesis papers and books as well as my computer to the living room hours ago. *mischievous grin* All I need now is a class of wine...

I quite like the Brummie (or thereabouts) accent. My friend's hubby is from Wolverhampton and he sounds like Jasper Carrot!

Mine is a very mixed-up accent on account of living in Kent for nearly 22 years and then Somerset for nearly 21 - if I go to Kent they say I have a tinge of West Country accent - and here, they think I sound 'posh'!

I certainly don't have a traditional Kentish accent.

It is shown on TV programmes that Suffolk Norfolk and Brummie accents are associated with thick, simple people. Essex folk esp the women under 40 are associated with being Thick too.Remember "EAST ANGLER!" from Jade? This typecasting is unfair

Also I have never heard a proper Norfolk or Suffolk accent on TV and the series. "Kingdom" was especially cringeworthy.

I'm from Wigan but don't think I have much of an accent (in that most people need to ask where I come from. I love an Irish accent.......yes yes I know join the queue! and I also really like an east Lancashire accent as in Burnley / Blackburn it's the rrrrr sound - I once went to a football match at Accrington Stanley's ground & fell in love with the announcer's accent!

Aww, Gyre, Glasweigan accents aren't awful - I love them! John Hannah's accent is sexy as hell & he's Glasweigan!

It just sounds awful to me :readingtwo:

Aww, Gyre, Glasweigan accents aren't awful - I love them! John Hannah's accent is sexy as hell & he's Glasweigan!

I second that motion. I *adore* John Hannah's accent, its perfect. Its what makes him so hot. I have to watch Sliding Doors again soon, just to see him. Nom. Nom. Nom.

Its the way he says 'three'.