BrainFreeze

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm from 'up north and have been told I have a broad northern accent lol

Lancashire not Yorkshire by the way :lol:

Same here, but t'other way round! Yorkshire not Lancashire! :lol:

I like most northern accents, particularly Yorkshire and Geordie (lived in Newcastle for a couple of years).

For some reason, I have problems understanding some Scottish and Irish accents (not all of them). I also can't understand Indian accents, which is unfortunate because whenever I get put through to a call centre I always get a Scottish or Indian person. Just my luck! :lol:

I have the dreaded Bristolian accent and I hate it :motz:Most of the time I sound normal (Then again what is a normal english accent?) but some times the Bristolian in me will come out on certain words.. and I get the " you sound like a farmer " :lol:

Yeah I come from Bath and get the same thing :P

WHAT?! How'd you do that, Ashilet??

I moved to INDIA and mine is still as strong as ever! :blush:

You must tell me your secret.

BTW -- my husband went to North Carolina for undergrad and Duke for grad, so I've spent a lot of time in NC! :lol:

Now, first of all, my mother tongue is Swedish. And then I have an accent that's VERY specific for this area. I have lived in a city outside of this area for a long time, about 10 years. My accent did start to fade a bit- but when I moved back it came back as strong as ever. I can pick out most Swedish accents that are spoken in Finland, sometimes even the specific village where a person comes from.

When it comes to accents in Finnish, I am less accurate. I can only pick out the general part of Finland where a person comes from.

When it comes to other languages, I'm pretty worthless. But that's accents for you: you're "IN" or "OUT".

WHAT?! How'd you do that, Ashilet??

I moved to INDIA and mine is still as strong as ever! :blush:

You must tell me your secret.

BTW -- my husband went to North Carolina for undergrad and Duke for grad, so I've spent a lot of time in NC! :lol:

It's the language thing again. Ashilet continued with English, you changed languages. I'll bet you 50 bucks if you move to Australia or UK, your accent will change.

Sara: You need to stop watching Project Runway. Seriously. *laughs* (just kidding)

It's the language thing again. Ashilet continued with English, you changed languages. I'll bet you 50 bucks if you move to Australia or UK, your accent will change.

I doubt Beth has changed language much. English is very much used in India and Hindi is far too complicated to be learned in a few months...

Then again, did you really want to pick up the Indian accent Beth? *laughs*

People seem to say i speak quite well, i can be well spoken or quite lazy with words as well, depends on mood and energy and i guess and the company you keep (although i do tend to speak too fast and under my breath so no one can understand) I don't really have an accent which is strange seeing as my mum is from yorkshire and my dad is from scotland and i live right beside birmingham and studied in solihull which all have accents and my bf is from manchester, but i havent seemed to pick them up from what i can tell and what people have commented on....and i'm currently studying in cambridge helps me to speak well i suppose, i'd love to have a scottish accent but alas i don't. Altho my auntie from yorkshire married a scottish man and now sounds very much scottish (has been 20 years i guess) When/if i have kids i want them to have a scottish accent lol one like billy connolly or the guy from coast :blush:

I was helping teach a class at college that was below me and as soon as i spoke they said, 'your not from around here are you' lol just because i didnt sound like a brumie, i also thought (i'm rambling sorry) when i worked at the dogs trust they got a shipment of dogs from Ireland i thought would the dogs understand us as much when we were saying commands, seeing as we dont have the accent they were used to.....?

I also met a Japanese girl volunteering for wildlife trust who said she couldnt speak english much when she came and because she went to Birmingham she picked the accent up as well, when i was speaking to her i thought she would have lived here for most of her life but she hadnt, think she said only maybe 2 years, was pretty good!

Edited by Janet
Merged consecutive posts

I'm from Birmingham but people can't usually tell from my accent. It does come out on occasional words (like Birmingham, which means I always get the response "Oh I can tell now!" when I say where I'd from). And it's stronger when I've been drinking or talking to another Brummie. To the extend that one of my uni friends says that it's scary when me and a fellow Brummie are talking to each other

• 3 years later...
I find that if I'm speaking to someone with a definite accent, I end up following on with it - especially with Australian and American accents. Unfortunately, because I do it without realising (often mid-sentence) folks often think I'm taking the mickey till they know me better!

The exact same happens to me all the time!

And yes, Irish accent makes me melt every time, although I love all accents really.

I wish I had an accent, mine is pretty neutral.

Edited by Deborah