Accents

BrainFreeze

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have three accents that happen quite naturally with me:

The first one is "RP" (received pronunciation),i.e. accentless - we were brought up to speack without betraying where we were from.

The second one is Geordie, which I speak with family members as we're from Northumberland originally.

The third is Scottish, but it's not Aberdonian - it's softer than that and is CERTAINLY not Doric (which is very harsh and full of horrid glattal stops).

That said, I find that if I'm speaking to someone with a definite accent, I end up following on with it - especially with Australian and American accents. Unfortunately, because I do it without realising (often mid-sentence) folks often think I'm taking the mickey till they know me better!

I have a strange accent. To non-Irish people, I sound Irish. To Irish people, I usually sound English but I have been accused of American and Australian as well. The best anyone can do is, '(I) sound Irish sometimes.' Hm.

As for soft spots - Scottish accents make me melt. John Hannah. My god. Also have a thing for Dublin accents. :blush:

I dont think there's a particular "Paris region accent" but I've been told I have a British accent (learned english whilst living in england) when speaking english, spanish... and sometimes even french :blush:

I love accents! They are sometimes difficult to understand but they can transform completely a language... I love hearing people speak french with an Italian accent for example.

According to some, I have a very strong Canadian accent (ironic since I am Canadian :blush:) but there have been sooooooo many people who have thought that I was Irish. In part that could be put down to the time I lived in Ireland, but mostly it's because Irish is the largest ethnic group in the area of Canada that I come from, so our accent has a lot of "Irish" to it. (followed closely by Scottish) My Mom's side are Irish (2 generations back) & Dad's Scottish, also 2 generations back.

I love the Irish accent!

I'm terrible with accents though. It's not ignorance or anything, I just struggle to understand people with strong accents.

I don't think I have one but then I guess I would think that? I'm from the Midlands (UK) so it's just blah. :blush:

(Check out my new avatar :))

washer woman Cockney

Which is bad because...?:) I bet you can't guess my accent now?:D (well, feel free to omit the 'washer woman' bit...

I too love an Irish accent - particularly Dublin and Cork. I also adore a male New York accent. I like Italian too and also French...particularly if it's Jean-Christoph Novelli...:blush:

I have a slight Geordie accent. If I'm around other Geordie's it doesn't sound really strong but my family think it now does (as I go to uni in the centre of Newcastle).

I have a soft spot for any Irish accent. There's something about it that I just love.

I love Deep South accents and Irish accents. :blush:

The Pacific Northwest of the US is marked for a complete lack of any accent. Linguists say that we pronounce all English words completely phonetically, without any unusual inflection. BOOOORING!:) But for some reason, some people have told me that I sound English. One person I worked with a long time ago was convinced that I was originally from England, when I've lived here all my life!

But for some reason, some people have told me that I sound English. One person I worked with a long time ago was convinced that I was originally from England, when I've lived here all my life!

People have asked me if I'm Australian before. I've lived in England all my life. So, I'm not sure how that's possible, hehe.

Maybe there's a familiar twang?

Well, I was born in Cuba, and I suspect that might influence my accent a bit, though I'm told it doesn't by those that I speak with on a daily basis. However, I live in Florida, U.S., and my boyfriend, who lives in New Mexico currently, tells me that I do have an accent, though not a Hispanic one. I'm not quite sure what type it might be then, but apparently, I have one nonetheless :blush:.

People have asked me if I'm Australian before. I've lived in England all my life. So, I'm not sure how that's possible, hehe.

Maybe there's a familiar twang?

Oh I get asked that I was born in Norfolk but lived in Suffolk and when I was in Kenya they all thought I was an aussie.

The Suffolk accent does get confused with the australian accent

Well that's wonderful, BookBee :blush:. I'm not exactly crazy about it (especially about the specific city in which I live), but it's home for now, so I'm content.

:). Well, I've only been to the touristy area of Orlando. I'm a huge kid and am in love with Walt Disney World. I'm not sure how you cope with the heat though.

Oh I get asked that I was born in Norfolk but lived in Suffolk and when I was in Kenya they all thought I was an aussie.

The Suffolk accent does get confused with the australian accent

Strange really. What, with being on the opposite side of the world!

I love the Australian accent. I pick up accents easily myself, and you can often hear from my speak where I've spent the past week or so. French comes through into my English, if I've spent time with DD I get the American accent, around Old Dragon it evolves into a Posh East Coast Private School -accent...