Inver's Reading List(s) (No.2)

Inver

'A Season of Eden' by J M Warwick

Nicely written, quick read about the schoolgirl Eden in her final year and her'relationship' with the music teacher James. She knows she shouldn't be considering anything serious will ever happen. It is dealt with sensitvely by the author and is wrapped up neatly and I felt Eden cames to terms with everything maturely given the situation she finds herself in.

7/10

(I also had it in mind that the teacher would look like the guy who plays The Mentalist!)

Edited by Inver

• 2 weeks later...

'The Evil Seed' ~ Joanne Harris

Not my normal kid of read (Vampire genre) but thought I would give it a go via Bookcrossing bookringn). Well I have to say I have had very mixed feelings about this book. I almost gave up on it. At times I found it too descriptive and very confusing the way it was jumping back and forward. I also found it difficult to who was narating at times. Lots of characters to try and keep track of. However I persevered with it trying to work out the plot and by half way through I knew I had to finish it. It did pick up and I thought I had it worked out but then lost my way again. Have to say by the end of it I was still confused. Not the Joanne Harris I am used to reading and am glad I didn't read this one first or I may not have picked up anymore to read....thank goodness I started with 'Chocolat'!

• 3 weeks later...

'The Hat Shop on the Corner' by Marita Conlon-McKenna

Delightful, easy read about Ellie and her mother's hat shop in Dublin. She has to make a decision whether to sell up and move on or fight the developers in the street and make a go of the business after her mother dies. Encourage by her friends she decides to revamp the shop and soon attracts new business. The usual story of the shop and all the people who come in to use it and how they use Ellie's talent for hat making.

7/10

'Twilight' by Stephanie Meyer

Now I can honestly say I have read it. After all the hype about it I had to read it for myself and make up my own mind. I have to say it isn't my usual choice in genre (Vampires not being my first love of scary things, I have a dislike of them normally, to vivid an imagination). However, I read it and found it a compulsive read, if a little nervous about the actual subject matter. I have to admit I now have to read the rest. My niece has also given me the dvd to watch (probably from behind a cushion :lurker:)

8/10

'The Oven House' by Lynne Rees (short book 109 pages)

A simple story of desire, guilt, obsession and excitment and what it can do to relationships. Breeze has to struggle between her life with her husband David or Matthew, who she meets by chance over coffee and books. It was lovely written and the fact that the main character owns a bookshop made it even more enjoyable. Lynne Rees was a guest author on Book Club a while back and I am glad I managed to get a copy of this sent to me my a fellow bookcrosser to read.

8/10

I got the Oven House through a competition on this forum and I really enjoyed it. I couldn't put it down because I wanted to see how it ended. I like that Breeze had no justification for an affair but just couldn't resist due to pure lust. I loved it.

And Twilight...I think you probably already know about that :lurker: It is very compulsive reading and the next three books are the same (although there is arguements about which books are better). The films isn't scary and, although it's not the best film adaptation I still enjoy it ;).

• 2 weeks later...

'New Moon' by Stephanie Meyer

Second in the Twilight series read. However, I found it a bit more of a task to get into it and was waiting for it to pick up a bit and it did, again I was a little nervous about the actual subject matter

(werewolves this time).

Now to the third one, once I borrow it from Jennyflower.

7/10

Inver, I also found the first two thirds of New Moon a struggle, but as soon as

Alice

turns up again, the action fair rattles along and it makes it all worthwhile.

Next up, though, you've got Eclipse, which is my favourite of the series, so I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :D

Inver, I also found the first two thirds of New Moon a struggle, but as soon as

Alice

turns up again, the action fair rattles along and it makes it all worthwhile.

Next up, though, you've got Eclipse, which is my favourite of the series, so I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :D

I agree about

Alice coming back. I totally love the chapter where it's just her and Bella and then of course the whole reunion in Italy. Almost makes the rest of the book worth waiting for.

I agree with you also that Eclipse is better, my second favourite in the series :D I'm jealous that you get to read them for the first time Inver :D

'December' ~ Elizabeth H. Winthrop

Not the time of year to read about snow etc, but never mind. Isabelle is 11 years old and hasn't spoken in months. Her parents can't understand why, there is no apparent reason. The book trundles on with thoughts and conversations from each parent and others chapters from Isabelles point of view. I found the book a bit slow, but it did pick up a bit in the second half fortunately. I felt I wanted more out of the book but it was interesting enough to find out the outcome of this 'silence' and what the reason for it was

(but there wasn't really one!).

I was a bit disappointed in the ending and expected a bit more, but not sure what! However it was an easy read and I did feel frustrated for the parents in their attempts to understand and help Isabelle overcome her silence.

6/10

• 1 month later...

'Second Glance' by Jodi Picoult

Enjoyed this one. A slightly different read, in that it didn't involve any court case drama. However a good read, involving ghosts and native indian burial ground and an unexplained death. Ross the main character trying to come to terms with his fiancee's death and trying to die too, but life gets in the way. Twists and turns for the characters and sometimes too much to remember, however it didn't distract from the plot. A spooky read, but one to enjoy.

7/10

Her writing seemed a bit different I thought Lucy. Can't quite pin point how exactly (I'm not very good with review things). It was almost like it was one of her earlier novels before settling in to the way we know her to write. Like you I did enjoy it enough though. I always need to get to the end of her books, if sometimes a bit long at times.

Edited by Inver

'Green Angel' by Alice Hoffman

What a strange little book. A chatastrophe leaves Green on her on after her family dies in a terrible fire disaster. She has to survive on her own, going back to nature to help survive but difficult with everthing covered in ash. Her emotions are rife and she has to find a way through it and dreams a lot of her lost sister. Has a bit of a mystical theme running through it. Lovely written as always by Alice Hoffman.

7/10

• 5 weeks later...

'Things I want my Daughters to Know' by Elizabeth Noble

Read this one via bookring run by Kate. A dying mother leaves notes for each of her daughters about things she wants them to know after she has gone. Secrets are unlocked and emotions are exposed, but all is brought together.

Not an overly taxing read, but enjoyable. Being a daughter of a mother I wondered how I would cope reading this book (tissues required at times), but I found the notes written for particular daughters quite moving.

6/10

• 4 weeks later...

'Midwives' ~ Chris Bohjalian

I joined a Bookcrossing bookring to read this, but by the time I was half way through this I thought I recognised the story and I was right I had read it. It didn't stop me enjoying again though as I couldn't remember the ending. The story is about Sibly Danforth, a self taught midwife who is accused of causing the death of a mother during a home birth. She performs a ceserean section on the mother she believes is dead in order to save the baby. Things twist and turn and keeps you guessing as the plot takes you to the eventual court case and the truth of what happened.

Very well written and you forget that it had been written by a man, obviously very well researched.

9/10 Recommend giving this one a read.

Edited by Inver

• 5 weeks later...

'Pond Land and Paris' by Susie Vereker

Very easy read. Likeable characters. Laura finds herself alone after caring for her invalid husband for 8 years. She finds a job with ambassador, Oliver Farringdon, and moves to Paris, he is divorced and she helps supervise his young teenage daughter. She finds it all a bit of a culture shock, having left her small cottage home in the English countryside and her friends Mel and Jack (the husband of Mel and misses him more than she realised). The story goes between the two, and she marries Oliver but finds things a little more difficult than planned. Does she miss her life in England more time will tell!

Not overly taxing read but enjoyable just the same.

6/10

• 2 weeks later...

'The Christmas Train' by David Baldacci

Easy, gentle read that takes on a train journey across America. Tom is travelling from the east coast to Los Angeles to join his girlfriend for the holidays. Various characters take their parts in this journey and you are sucked in to the anticipation of finding out why they are on the train and where they are going and who they are going to meet. The main story is of Tom and his relationship with a long lost love Eleanor who boards the train further down the line. Sounds like a fantastic train to travel on if those kind of trains exist.

Bit of a feel good book, worth dipping in to at this time of year. Glad I kept it to read near Christmas.

7/10

• 2 weeks later...